far fetched idea with the ferry coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveWestOahu

Contributor
Reaction score
A Rock in the middle of the Pacific @158 x 21
# of dives
have had a bunch of ppl ask and now it's getting closer to having the ferry running,
plan:
take dive boat on trailer (blue dolphin) with tanks and gear in tow to maui for a few deep dives 200~250 back side of molokini, we got a boat that would also do private charter there we just need to bring the tanks (doubles and decos) whata you teckies think?
capt scotty:popcorn:

I'd check what they charge to take the boat over, calculate the price per person and see if it's worth it. Car pooling and chartering a boat might be the more economical choice.

I'd go, just to photo-document.:D

after the Hurricane, of course.

Depending on cost I would definitely be interested.

Interesting plan.

There's a few ops here that will let you "take over" the boat -- PM me if you want more details (unbiased) on amenities (size, room to move around, etc.)

FWIW, Makena Coast Dive Charters will let you do a private charter (4.5 hours) for $1900... I'm not certain, but that might even include tanks (80's & 63's with air).

KrisB:
FWIW, Makena Coast Dive Charters will let you do a private charter (4.5 hours) for $1900... I'm not certain, but that might even include tanks (80's & 63's with air).
Seems like a 6-pack, like Prodiver, could be completely booked for less than $1000. Bring your own gear (including tanks?) and it's less than $800. The question is whether any OP other than B&B is interested in divers going deeper than 130'; current interpretations of State regulations necessitate a guide in the water. Seems like filling B&B's boat would be less than $1900, and they actually teach deep diving. Still might be issues for any commercial operator

Not many weekend trips make financial sense with the ferry, this one might be the glaring exception.

I spoke with the owner of Makena Coast today, and this topic came up.

Basically, there'd be a nice fat waiver saying you're responsible for any in-water activities (his insurance only covers activities planned to 130'), and all divers would have to be certified for the deep diving (appropriate tech cert) and have some experience.

current interpretations of State regulations necessitate a guide in the water.

Do you mean for deep dives, or boat dives in general? I've not heard of these regs -- do you have a reference?

If you get a group together and are serious about this, PM me and I'll hook you up with contact information for more than just the bookings. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom