Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try and get on an airplane without paying. I think you are living in a "Fantasy Land" if you think you will board. Pay the entire airfare and then when you arrive at the airport refuse to pay the check baggage fee and board with expectations of your bag making it. I will give you a hint your bags will not make it. I would make a bet contracts signed on Hondurian paper are not the same as contract's signed on American paper.

I have been following this thread closely because I plan going to Roatan next month but have not booked my stay but expected to stay at Fantasy Island. I have stayed there twice before and by no means is the place a 4 star resort, heck I might give it 2 stars as far as the hotel goes but the diving is 6 star and I realize this is a "dive resort" so I know what to expect.

Back to issue with this thread.

I received an email from Rich's company informing me of the issues with Fantasy Island and I have not booked anything with him. My two previous stays went through Bay Adventures but maybe they then book through his company but I find it very unprofessional to send out blanket emails to everyone who has stayed at FI with his spin on what happened. I find it pretty odd his company has been so quick to sign up with a new resort and just so happened he is moving his previous FI bookings to the new resort and it is ALL FI fault because they will not honor the reservations. I also find it hard to believe his company sent the money to FI and FI would just give it back to him so he can rebook all of the reservations with the resort he has a new "contract" with.

We will never know exactly what happened here but to believe one side of this story and blame FI just doesn't smell right. If I were one of the affected people I am sure I would be extremely mad but if you really think about it you might be placing your blame in the wrong direction.

Instead of saying you will never stay at FI again it might be appropriate to say you will never book your reservation with is company. What if, he took your money and instead of paying it to the resort you initially wanted to stay he sent it to the one he now has a better contract with?? He comes out like a hero because HE saved your vacation when he just changed it without your approval.

Obviously everything in this thread is speculation so this is mine.

Rod

Who cares who's paper it's printed on. Even if it isn't legal, they should take responsibility. An airline and this situation seem to be totally different things. I've never seen anyone that was an authorized agent for an airline. Just because you offer airfare, doesn't mean you were hired by the airline. You're simply a reseller and this is something entirely different.

Authorized agent means you were hired by the company in question. Airlines don't hire people to sell tickets for them as far as I know. Resale is much different than being a representative of a company. I could book you airfare right now through an airline website if I had your information.

I received an email from Rich's company informing me of the issues with Fantasy Island and I have not booked anything with him. My two previous stays went through Bay Adventures but maybe they then book through his company but I find it very unprofessional to send out blanket emails to everyone who has stayed at FI with his spin on what happened.

I would love to see that e-mail if you cared to copy and post it.

I still say it just doesn't add up that the money was sent to FI and then they decided to ask for more or not honor the reservations they were paid for.

An airline and this situation seem to be totally different things. I've never seen anyone that was an authorized agent for an airline. Just because you offer airfare, doesn't mean you were hired by the airline. You're simply a reseller and this is something entirely different.

Authorized agent means you were hired by the company in question. Airlines don't hire people to sell tickets for them as far as I know. Resale is much different than being a representative of a company. I could book you airfare right now through an airline website if I had your information.

You are the one who brought up airlines and how they would honor a reservation even if they didn't get the money, not me?? I just said that isn't true and shouldn't be true. Why would they honor a reservation if they didn't get the money.:idk:

Have you ever heard of the following:

Expedia
Orbitz
Travelocity

This situation seems a lot like an airline situation except the airlines would never let Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity or any of the other websites get the money and then hand it over to them at a later date but if that were the case I guarantee you that if the money wasn't handed over you wouldn't step one foot on their plane. Would you blame the airline for not letting you fly on their plane or would you blame the company you booked the flight with if they didn't pay the airline for your reservation?:no:

Rod

I would love to see that e-mail if you cared to copy and post it. QUOTE]

Here is the email I received. Keep in mind I have never booked a stay at FI with this company. My two previous stays were booked through Bay Adventures. When I stayed at FI I am sure I gave them my email address so I guess this is how this company got my email. I have never been a direct customer of theirs.

Dear Fantasy Dive Travel Customer,

As a valued customer it is important that you are kept up to date on issues happening in Roatan that could potentially affect you and your trip to Fantasy Island Dive Resort. Last month, Fantasy Dive Travel (FDT), was forced to resign as the booking agent for Fantasy Island Resort on Roatan. "It's unfortunate, but true," says Rich H. FDT president. "The relationship with the resort began with so much promise. However, we are unfortunately unable to continue to work with the current ownership and management of the resort."

The circumstances behind this decision have a direct effect on every current and future FDT customer.

Unfortunately, ownership and management at Fantasy Island Resort have made threats to not honor current and advance bookings for travelers coming to the island. As a booking agent for the resort, this is not an acceptable way to do business and we will not subject our valued customers to these potential problems or inconveniences.

Needless to say, FDT is working diligently to prevent any awkward or inappropriate situations for our customers. If you feel you may be affected by this situation, we urge you to contact OUR office right away. We value you as a customer and are very disappointed with the situation at Fantasy Island Resort.

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 9 am through 5 pm Central Time and our toll-free phone number is 888-503-6030.

Sincerely

The Fantasy Dive Travel Team

This airline comparison failed at the gate. Years ago, Travel Agents could indeed handwrite tickets on standard stock, which the airlines would honor even if the handwriting was 10 minutes old - and I actually bought some tickets at a booth at the airport. The airline would then obtain the funds from the agency, in the agents report, after audit, whatever. Agents would even allow you pay later in some cases. I knew a dope head working for this sister who left her in the middle when he crashed; she went bankrupt - but passengers got to fly. That was decades ago tho.

These days, you look at your airline tickets online at the airline site within minutes of booking & paying at an agency site, and you print out that receipt to take with you.

None of this compares to this problem IMO.

Did rich offer a refund to anyone, or offer to work with the credit card companies to get a refund so the guest could pay the resort directly? His booking company is up and running for the henry morgan resort group. This is the group that runs Media Luna where the former FI guests were relocated. This is too coincidental. I agree that the resort should honor all reservations that the guests can show were paid in full. Then they need to go after their agent. Perhaps the management at the resort doesn't know how to take legal action in the US to recover the money or work with the credit card companies.
If FI has been paid some or all or the reservation money then they still owe that money back to the guests that didn't come. CajunDiva and her group are owed their money back from FI since they didn't show up. Supposedly,Rich paid for Media Luna out of his own pocket, because he already fowarded the money to FI. This does not add up! If the resort was asking for more money than originally paid because they raised their rate since the reservation was made then that is a different situation. It doesn't appear that this is the case. Rich now works for Henry Morgan and can not be trusted to tell the truth about a resort that is now his competition. In fact it is in his own best interest to smear the reputation of Fantasy Island any way he can. The best way is by creating confusion about the facts, leaving travelers stranded and then being the knight in shining armor who saves the day out of his own pocket. This whole thing stinks and if I were to deny my business to anyone it would be rich's travel agency and henry morgan resorts for being complicit in rich's shenanigans.

Did rich offer a refund to anyone, or offer to work with the credit card companies to get a refund so the guest could pay the resort directly? His booking company is up and running for the henry morgan resort group. This is the group that runs Media Luna where the former FI guests were relocated. This is too coincidental. I agree that the resort should honor all reservations that the guests can show were paid in full. Then they need to go after their agent. Perhaps the management at the resort doesn't know how to take legal action in the US to recover the money or work with the credit card companies.
If FI has been paid some or all or the reservation money then they still owe that money back to the guests that didn't come. CajunDiva and her group are owed their money back from FI since they didn't show up. Supposedly,Rich paid for Media Luna out of his own pocket, because he already fowarded the money to FI. This does not add up! If the resort was asking for more money than originally paid because they raised their rate since the reservation was made then that is a different situation. It doesn't appear that this is the case. Rich now works for Henry Morgan and can not be trusted to tell the truth about a resort that is now his competition. In fact it is in his own best interest to smear the reputation of Fantasy Island any way he can. The best way is by creating confusion about the facts, leaving travelers stranded and then being the knight in shining armor who saves the day out of his own pocket. This whole thing stinks and if I were to deny my business to anyone it would be rich's travel agency and henry morgan resorts for being complicit in rich's shenanigans.

This post hits the nail on the head.

There are some "if"s that we are not going to find out so it will be impossible to know exactly how much blame should go to each party but I completely agree this doesn't add up and there is a big coinsidence that a booking agent has moved to another resort and all of his bookings are now with that resort.

I must have missed the part where Rich paid for this out of his pocket?? Now this is very hard to believe.

Rod

Yes, this is exactly what they should do. That is of course unless Rich's version of the story is correct. I find it hard to believe that a resort that's been up and running for ages doesn't know basic legal procedures. If the resort HAS been paid, there is nothing to go after Rich for. That would be a plausible reason why they aren't going after him.

Rich isn't the one who left me stranded, that would be FI. It could be as you say, Rich purposefully withholding payments just to transfer them to a different resort. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though. I'm sure Rich was paid commission on any booking at FI, at least initially. Why wouldn't he just keep the commissions he already had, instead of change people over and deal with chargebacks, and irate customers? FI sent me the email first not Rich. I recieved his email AFTER I got one from FI saying my reservation wasn't paid.

After SEVERAL attempts trying to contact FI saying my trip was paid, I got in contact with Rich. He then offered to move my reservation. I gave FI a chance, and they left me twisting in the wind. If your looking for someone to blame for stranding travelers, look at FI.

This post hits the nail on the head.

There are some "if"s that we are not going to find out so it will be impossible to know exactly how much blame should go to each party but I completely agree this doesn't add up and there is a big coinsidence that a booking agent has moved to another resort and all of his bookings are now with that resort.

I must have missed the part where Rich paid for this out of his pocket?? Now this is very hard to believe.

Rod

Maybe I missed something but, wouldn't that be exactly what moving to a different resort means? If what Rich says is true, and he is paying for the guests out of his pocket, where else would he send them? Both parties agree he doesn't work for FI anymore. I would think you would book people at the resort that you represent, not one you don't....

Read carefully what his e-mail said:

"Unfortunately, ownership and management at Fantasy Island Resort have made threats to not honor current and advance bookings for travelers coming to the island. As a booking agent for the resort, this is not an acceptable way to do business and we will not subject our valued customers to these potential problems or inconveniences."

I read from this that he was told that reservations he had made on behalf of Fantasy Island would not be honored. Fantasy Island did indeed contact at least one group of ten individuals demanding an additional $500/ person. In his place would you send them money when they told you they would not honor reservations or would you try to accomodate your customers elsewhere at the agreed price.

It is obvious to me that they wanted more money. He was put in a bad position. I think he did pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom