Fairfax Co. PD Diver Missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this on the news the other night. It's sad they haven't found him. They were so hopeful.
But what was he doing wearing a dry suit without wearing scuba gear? I don't know much about dry suits but don't they need an air supply?

I know a couple of the details as I was notified shortly after he disappeared to get the guys on my PSD dive team on standby in case they were needed to assist. One of my guys had a patrol boat on scene and talked to the missing oficer's team mates who were on the boat. Supposedly he had on a drysuit, mask and snorkel. He gave an OK sign upon entering the water and the boat operator stated he had a large amount of air in the drysuit in the chest area. I asked if there was a weight system involved and I was told they did not think so. The scenario was that he was to be picked up by boat and then transferred to a helo. When he went to be picked up he was missing. Water depth was pretty shallow-possibly only 7 feet deep in places with limited viz on the bottom of 1-2 ft. There is a lot of hydrilla growing in the area which makes it tougher.
Our team did not respond with any ivers as they went to using side-scan sonar and we were told to stand down. We did support the search with patrol boats. This search effort has had a lot of resources put into it to help find the missing officer. It is pretty tough on the folks who are searching.

"A person who answered the telephone at Stecco's house declined to be interviewed."

And, you are surprised by that? I honestly despise the media. HELLO!!! Why is it necessary to call the family? I don't understand people...

I think the media generally speaking has pretty much lost repect of much of the public. Instead of reporting the news in an unbiased manner they seem to want to influence matters and introduce their personal bias into articles or feed sensationalism withoud regard to folks feelings or privacy. The police department needs to arrange for a family spokesman for media contact and quit calling his home.

It does seem rude to be phoning the family's home. Perhaps some families would want to make statements in some cases, and I guess that many do so. It would be good for any such affected family to arrange for a spokesperson and for an answering machine to refer calls to such friend or associate, but so often one doesn't think about such in a tragedy, but you're right James: For a public servant whose duties include elevated risks, the police department could certainly include such in their emergency plans.

Here is a current case where a family does want media communications: Jennifer Hudson's sister begs for missing son's return - CNN.com

Here is the write up from the Officer Down Memorial Page:

Second Lieutenant Frank Stecco
Fairfax County Police Department
Virginia
End of Watch: Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 19 years
Badge Number: 2252
Incident Details
Cause of Death: Drowned
Date of Incident: Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available
Lieutenant Frank Stecco drowned while participating in a helicopter water rescue training scenario in Pohick Bay Regional Park.

He had entered the water wearing only a dry suit, to role play a victim, but failed to resurface. An intense search was immediately initiated. Divers located him on October 25, 2008, approximately 100 feet from where he was last seen.

Lieutenant Stecco had served with the Fairfax County Police Department for 19 years and was assigned to the Youth Services Division. He is survived by his wife, three children, and mother.
Agency Contact Information
Fairfax County Police Department
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: (703) 246-2195

Lord, please grant me wisdom as I uphold the law; may I stand for justice and equality for all. Help me make a difference so the world's a safer place, where everyone may find Your love, Your goodness and Your grace.

:salute:

Thank YOU 2nd Lt. Frank Stecco for the service you provided to your community and country.

It is really amazing and understandablw at the same time that he was found only 100 ft from where he was last seen. Home to first base in baseball is 90 ft., not all that much, but as in diving you can't think linear, you have to think in 3 dimensions. So all of a sudden, the 100 ft becomes 100 ft X 360 degrees in all directions x depth. Really amazing that he was discovered.
Some might say it is a waste to go in a training environment, but in realty as a law enforecement officer, you train probably 75% of the time. He did some amazing and heoric things on the job. To him and his family. THANK YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom