Fair Price For Hydro Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The test equipment needed for a hydro test is quite expensive and it is not profitable for the waverage dive shop to have and maintain the equipment and licenses required. So most shops send the tanks out for the test.

Where many shops screw divers is in the 100% markup they tack onto the price of the hydrotest. This is particularly galling if the test facilty picks up and delivers the tanks. Where they REALLY screw divers is in the cost of the VIP that they add to the cost of the hydrotest. A VIP is already included in the cost of the hydro and is required to be completed as part of the hydro test process.

To complete a hydro test the tank is devalved, a fitting is installed in the neck, the tank is filled with water and then placed in the the test chamber and pumped up to the required test pressure while the expansion is measured.

The tank then has to be removed from the test chamber, emptied of water and thoroughly dried (normally with heated forced air) before being visually inspected and re-valved. The tank is then stamped.

The actual hydrotest test process takes about 5 minutes but the drying, VIP and other parts of the process add to the actual time required per tank. A turn around in a few hours is possible but 24 hours is more reasonable to expect if you deliver the tank directly to the test facility.

Our dive shop does have a test facility on site (it makes a lot more money than the dive shop and the dive shop was started as a side line.) We charge 15.00 per tank which includes a VIP and air fill and charge a lower rate to volume customers.

roakey:
You probably didn't get screwed, since there's a couple different levels to the original question...

A hydro around here is $15. That was the original question, but I'm not sure if that was what the original poster really meant to ask, because a hydro is just part of the equation.

In additin to a hydro, The SCUBA industry requires a Visual Cylinder Inspection (VCI) and the sticker that's the result of a VCI before shops will fill cylinders. A VCI costs somewhere in the $8 to $15 range and is worth that amount of money if done correctly. Finally, if your cylinder came back full of air, that's $3-$6 for a fill.

So how's that $30 looking now?

Roak

Sounds close to me. $12.50 for hydro, $3.50 for VIP, $3.00 for VE on Al Cyl, $4.00 for fill. Total $23.00 + Tax.

Hallmac

Sounds like when I get my own tanks, hopefully shortly, I will be sending them someplace other than my LDS. They charge $20 for a visual, refill included and $45 for a hydro, refill and visual included . No they don't do it on site but that still sounds like a big mark up.

Mine have been running $24.50. This includes:
Hydro
VIP
New oring
Full of Air

Looks like the LDS is treating me pretty good compared to these other stories.

Anyone know my best bet for the long Island, NY area... so far I have only been able to find $40, for a VIP, Fill, Hydro.

Thanks.

Last week I was was diving about 200 miles from home and transported some tanks from the dive shop there to our shop for a hydro (a fairly common event as we are the closest test facility).

Their shop pays me (or anyone else making the trip) $5 per tank for transporting the tank each way (which normally pays my gas for the dive trip), which gets added to the $10.00 we charge them for the hydro/VIP (and no fill). But then again, it makes no sense for us to hydro a tank that fails a VIP due to rust/corrosion in the tank or under the boot so the dive shop there normally does a VIP before they even send it out and consequently charges for that as well (and puts their own VIP sticker on it when it comes back from us.)

So the off site dive shop's cost for the hydro and transportation is $20 before they even consider their VIP, the fill, and any profit they feel they need to make, so an off site hydro, VIP and fill could cost the diver around $40 and still be a fair price.

It just pays to work with a test site directly when possible, particularly if you own a lot of tanks.

If I take my tank to they hydro facility myself I pay $17.50 but then you add the cost of the VIP (Plus Eddy for one of my AL80's) and an air fill and the price comes out to about $28 or $30. The only reason I drop them off myself is to get them back quicker. Most shops wait until they have a bunch of tanks that need hydro and that can be a few weeks. I don't really save money by taking them in I just save time.

Scott

The Great American Diving Company of St. Charles, Kirkwood and Chesterfield charges $25 for Hydro, Viz, Visual Eddy if needed, and fill. Turn around time if taken to Main Street store is usually 24 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom