Fair Price For Hydro Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just paid $45.00 each to have 2 of my PST E7 100 cf steel tanks hydro tested through my LDS.
For that fee the dive shop drove the tanks to the testing station (about 40 minutes away), picked them up when ready, tumbled the flash rust inside the tank (from the hydro), re-inspected the tanks, placed a VIP sticker on each tank, and filled them with 3440 psi of oxygen compatible air. I feel it is a price I can live with (every 5 years) for the services rendered.

$9.50/cylinder.

They even did the 'PST pre-hydro procedures' like I requested. :D I also got the tests back for both the pre-test and the actual test.

In San Antonio the LDS charges $38. This includes the hydro, VIP and air fill.

I'm not defending or attacking the LDS or hydro facility, but just stating the facts:

I don't know if other dive shops or the testing facility itself does this, but the LDS does take the valve off of the tank, change the O-rings and then put the valve back on the tank after the hydro. So, while this is not a lot of labor, there is a little bit of effort put into the tank besides just sending it off to the hydro facility. Also, the LDS does do a visual because on occasion a tank will come back from the hydro facility with water in it. That means, cleaning and drying in addition to the removal of the tank valve. Then, a phone call to the hydro facility to chew them out for not drying the tank properly.

My Hydro shop charges $40 for a Hydro, Vis, Eddy Current if needed, replacement of O-rings, and burst disk, and a copy of all inspection paperwork. I do know the shops around here add on a few more dollars to the final so they make a small profit to.

If I take my tank to they hydro facility myself I pay $17.50 but then you add the cost of the VIP (Plus Eddy for one of my AL80's) and an air fill and the price comes out to about $28 or $30. The only reason I drop them off myself is to get them back quicker. Most shops wait until they have a bunch of tanks that need hydro and that can be a few weeks. I don't really save money by taking them in I just save time.

Scott

Time is Money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom