"failing" vs. "condemning"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro:
Industrial cylinders normally have a 5 year hydro date unless they have a star then its 10 years.. This also applies to cyinders used in banks that never get moved (unless they are asme cylinders in a permanent installation then they never need recertifaction).
Star service (10 year hydro) can specifically NOT be applied to cylinders in banks that never get moved. Star service requires a hammer test be done on the cylinder at each and every fill -- literally striking the cylinder with a hammer and seeing if it rings like a bell.

Cylinders in a bank "that never get moved" cannot be tested in this way before each fill (every time the compressor runs) so they cannot be star service rated.

This is a commonly overlooked requirement for star service, and cylinders with a star service rating are routinely found in banks because of the desire to only tear down the bank every ten years instead of five, violating the additional requirement (the hammer test) that star service entails.

Roak

Or mirror, light and stickers.

I am a big believer in regular visual inspection. Time is as much the enemy as fill cycles (probably the greater one for steels). How often a tank is used isn't all that important - if you put a tank with water in it away for a year or two, or store it in a damp basement, it can go to hell quite nicely without ever being used.

Hoyden:
If paying $12-$20 for a VIP every year is too much money or trouble, you can always buy your own compressor.

Get your own compressor and you will be free of big brother.

Hey, I saw the pic of your Cyclone compressor purchased in 1968. FAR OUT. I like old stuff, too, especially "old ironsides", my 1974 Capitano.

I dislike the dive industry bureaucracy. Been filling my own since back when VIP was introduced. I inspect 'em all for free. Takes 10 minutes to do a visual. I have a chain vise so I also do my older tanks with 1/2 inch NPT. Back in the day, some of my tanks showed minor rust. The Bauer did not come equipped with triplex filtration, no dessicant. I took care of that by adding a big aluminum canister, the kind that you fill yourself, for a buck. Chance of rust in my tanks is zilch but I still check. Every few months, tap with hammer, invert and listen for rust particles. Every year, visual. Every 5 years, hydro test.

pescador775:
Hey, I saw the pic of your Cyclone compressor purchased in 1968. FAR OUT. I like old stuff, too, especially "old ironsides", my 1974 Capitano.

After all these years it still pumps as fast as it ever did. I also added a drying tower to it as it came with only a carbon tower. I actually have of two them, one for spare parts if I ever need them. Mine maybe is the only one in the country still running, maybe in the world.

roakey:
Star service (10 year hydro) can specifically NOT be applied to cylinders in banks that never get moved. Star service requires a hammer test be done on the cylinder at each and every fill -- literally striking the cylinder with a hammer and seeing if it rings like a bell.

Cylinders in a bank "that never get moved" cannot be tested in this way before each fill (every time the compressor runs) so they cannot be star service rated.

This is a commonly overlooked requirement for star service, and cylinders with a star service rating are routinely found in banks because of the desire to only tear down the bank every ten years instead of five, violating the additional requirement (the hammer test) that star service entails.

Roak

Roak,
Good catch on the star rating.. I should have reread my post... It didn;tcome out as I wanted..

What I really meant to point out is that industrial cylinders can have 5 or 10 year hydros, and even the ones that stay in place still need to be tested unless they are ASME stamped cylinders which need no retesting..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom