Factory Reconditioned OLY 5050...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Some of you are probably familiar with the seller on ebay, Olympus America that sells a ton of Olympus stuff?

Well, I have finally decided on making the jump to an Olympus 5050, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on a factory reconditioned 5050. It seems to me, that there are alot of these!!! Whats that all about???

Any thoughts on this seller, and factory reconditioned cameras welcomed...

When I was looking, my only thought was price.

I found a new one for about 50 bucks more than I was seeing on the reconditioned ones on Ebay, so I got it new.

I would not limit myself to the Oly store on eBay for recondtioned cameras. Do a Google search and you are likely to find plenty of them.
All my Oly cameras were refurbs. No problems with any of them.
I would place the order by phone though as some of these NY camera houses are con artists. They are in the business of selling the accessory packages that go with the cameras, not just the cameras.
I made 2 phone calls, the first did the "not in stock" song and dance because I didn't want the accessory package. The second made a polite sales pitch then sold me just the camera.
You may want to check out the 5050 prices on "Epinions"

Bought mine from them 6 months ago. I could have purchased a new one for only a little more but I wasn't sure if it would be warrantied. The camera's been fine, no problems. Their delivery took a little longer than might have been expected.

Well, after watching a few on ebay, and then googling somemore, I found a good price at Buydig.com. They say they sell new ones for $439...
THats the best price I have found (for a new one). I much rather to have a new one than a reconditioned one, especially when the price is right...

I bought my C5050 from Olympus through e-bay. It was "reconditioned" bot there's not a mark on it. It was about $500 but I've seen a few go for less since I got mine a few weeks ago. I got the housing the same way and just the box was dinged. I thought the price was good, barely anything to ship to Canada and got both in less than a week. Very pleased, beats the Aquapix all to heck. db

Gilligan is right on - the eastern guys strip out the accessories and try to re-sell them to you. You get a cheap cam, in a brown box. Its new, but its just the cam. This is very common with that ilk. To be avoided.

Oly's eBay store - oh yes... know it quite well. Its an auction store, so the objective is to drive price UP... there are treasures there, but look for the end times. Mid week, late (after 10:00 PM EST) and you'll find those prices are less. Use a sniper program (www.auctionsniper.com) and you can win stuff while you sleep. Oly's site is reliable, the stuff is in Oly Boxes (albeit generic oly boxes) comes with manuals and their shipping is CHEAP... like $5.00 Thjey charge sales tax to Cal. I have purchased lots from there without issue.

Other eBay sellers - Remember to use eBay's search feature (search, completed items only) so you can gauge current eBay market value of the 5050. I paid $450 delivered for mine a few months ago. Avoid all those packages... cards are cheap, and you'll want to go get your own case anyway. Its a profit grab for those guys trying to get $600 for adding a tripod, a card and 4 AA batts... please.

BuyDig - they had the deal of a lifetime on a refurbished e20 that I bought. It was an Oly factory refurb - just like buying from the Oly eBay site without the price competition. Freight was higher - but no tax. Plus, they often bundle in the MACK ESP (extended service plan) with their stuff. Also a good option.

When buying an Oly refurb, go with price - they all come from the same place and have the same 90 day warranty.

I would NOT recommend buying a used housing. New ones are so cheap its really a non-issue. Get the housing new, get the cam refurb.

Get a 256 or 512 CF card. You'll lose that 32 XD wafer in a few weeks... keep it in cam as a back up.

Don't forget your batts: My man Rip is my guy. www.ripvan100.com. The Sanyo 2300's rule. Get 3 sets.

Enjoy!

K

I recently bought a refurbished C5050 from Olympus America. No problems.

mike

LUBOLD8431:
Some of you are probably familiar with the seller on ebay, Olympus America that sells a ton of Olympus stuff?

Well, I have finally decided on making the jump to an Olympus 5050, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on a factory reconditioned 5050. It seems to me, that there are alot of these!!! Whats that all about???

Any thoughts on this seller, and factory reconditioned cameras welcomed...

I bought one of recons and it worked fine until...the accident at the main gate to yellowstone :54: and I returned it to olympus and they fixed it under warrenty and returned it back to me. can't argue with service like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom