Facial hair and Mask sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have only snorkeled in the past and used the Costco special set and it leeked real bad. Ive also got a Goatee..

I took it back and bought some new stuff for Scuba which we are about to try, Aqua Lung brand.

Question is, there a certain something I should be using being ive got facial hair?

scrapdizzy:
I have only snorkeled in the past and used the Costco special set and it leeked real bad. Ive also got a Goatee..

I took it back and bought some new stuff for Scuba which we are about to try, Aqua Lung brand.

Question is, there a certain something I should be using being ive got facial hair?

A razor...
:D

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
A razor...
:D

- ChillyWaters

:lol:

Also having facial hair, I do trim my moustache about 1/4" below my nose on the night before a dive so the mask seals. 1st dive I didn't do that I was clearing my mask fairly often.

Try putting some vasaline on your mustache. This helps to create a temporary seal.

BIG WILL

BIG WILL:
Try putting some vasaline on your mustache. This helps to create a temporary seal.

BIG WILL
Right you are, Big Will . . . keeps you looking sharp for the underwater photogs, too!

Rich Poorman

Yeah, I've used mask seal also, and it does seem to somewhat work. But I found it simpler to just get used to having water in my mask and clearing it once a minute. Clearing has become second nature and I hardly notice that I'm doing it.

Actually, Vaseline is not a good idea. Because it is petroleum-based, it can cause the mask skirt to deteriorate. If you can find something that is not petroleum-based, maybe mustache wax, or some hair-care product, that might work. The problem with this approach is that a lot of stuff that is not petroleum-based may be water-soluble.

just finding the right mask helps,had leaking probs for years and decided i needed another purge mask,got a cheapo dacor mask online and it seals so good,i dont have to trim my mustache anymore,wished i would have bought two of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom