Facial hair and Mask sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated before, Vaseline or any petroleum product is not a good idea. It does break down the silicone and will make your diving experiences more "flooded" than ever. I dive with a full moustache and beard, and have done so, since, well, forever. Read this for a quick intro to mask fitting:

http://www.crazyscuba.com/propermaskfitcfm.cfm

Good luck and Happy Diving,

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Exactly the problem: if it seals well, it can't be water soluble, and most stuff that is water soluble, doesn't seal. Perhaps some entrepreneurial DS people can concoct a product just for 'stached divers, and make a fortune!

I wonder about vaseline deteriorating the mask skirt, though . . . I know petroleum-based products are not to be used on rubber, but I have no idea what my mask skirt is made of, though I'd bet it's not rubber. I haven't noticed anything that looks like deterioration to this point, but I've only used the mask for maybe 50 hours total. I'll keep an eye on it, for sure. Since I have prescription lenses in my mask, I'm pretty much locked in to replacing it with another of the same model, or ponying up for replacement lenses if I change. If it does deteriorate and has to be replaced, I guess I just have to chalk it up to the cost of diving.

Another thing: I use my mask and snorkel for exercise lap swimming in the Y pool, which is a modern saline-based system with minimal chlorine (very enjoyable to swim there!). Still, there is some chlorine, and I would think that would be more potentially harmful to the mask than vaseline. Anybody know for sure?

Regarding mask clearing: I hate it! I always manage to snort up some salt water somehow, and usually get some in my eyes as well. With chronic eye irritation from allergies, I'm miserable!

Rich Poorman

Rich Poorman:
Exactly the problem: if it seals well, it can't be water soluble, and most stuff that is water soluble, doesn't seal. Perhaps some entrepreneurial DS people can concoct a product just for 'stached divers, and make a fortune!

I wonder about vaseline deteriorating the mask skirt, though . . . I know petroleum-based products are not to be used on rubber, but I have no idea what my mask skirt is made of, though I'd bet it's not rubber. I haven't noticed anything that looks like deterioration to this point, but I've only used the mask for maybe 50 hours total. I'll keep an eye on it, for sure. Since I have prescription lenses in my mask, I'm pretty much locked in to replacing it with another of the same model, or ponying up for replacement lenses if I change. If it does deteriorate and has to be replaced, I guess I just have to chalk it up to the cost of diving.

Another thing: I use my mask and snorkel for exercise lap swimming in the Y pool, which is a modern saline-based system with minimal chlorine (very enjoyable to swim there!). Still, there is some chlorine, and I would think that would be more potentially harmful to the mask than vaseline. Anybody know for sure?

Regarding mask clearing: I hate it! I always manage to snort up some salt water somehow, and usually get some in my eyes as well. With chronic eye irritation from allergies, I'm miserable!

Rich Poorman
Virtually all mask skirts are made of silicone and petroleum-based products will break them down. It doesn't happen immediately, but it will happen. Chlorine is not a problem.

Have you tried trimming a small strip just under your nose? That works for everyone I know.

divingjd:
Virtually all mask skirts are made of silicone and petroleum-based products will break them down. It doesn't happen immediately, but it will happen. Chlorine is not a problem.

Have you tried trimming a small strip just under your nose? That works for everyone I know.

Thanks Don. I'll trim up a bit, maybe go for that Muddy Waters look, instead of the Burt Reynolds/Emilio Zapata thing . . . and I like the earlier poster's suggestion about chapstick instead of vaseline. Pretty sure that chapstick isn't a petrochemical . . .

Rich Poorman

I just shave mine off before a dive and let it grow back.

If I shave a small line right under my nostrils (even an 1/8" works), I don't leak. If I do nothing, I have a very light leak, which makes me have to purge maybe once every 20 mins. But my mustache isn't thick and wiry like a lot of people's.

The eight of an inch trim under the nose works well for me and my dive buddies--we all tend to be the scruffy sort.

I am in the same boat and trimming about 1/8th of an inch works for me. I used to shave down to the “pencil thin mustache” before I dove but got tired of a week of my wife busting into a Jimmy Buffet song every time she looked at me (she is a hard core Parrot-head) and found its not necessary the trim that much. I also recommend going in to your local dive shop and trying on every mask they have. They should be able to help you with proper fit. I was ready to spend $150 if that’s what it took to have a good seal. I ended up with a $60 H2Odyssey Glacier - MS10. It fits like a glove and is a perfect seal. I think it was one of the cheapest masks they had. Sometimes you just get lucky. I love it so much that I keep meaning to go back and get another one “just in case”.

http://www.h2odyssey.com/Dive Mask 2.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------
:musical_n
I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The boston blackie kind
A two toned ricky ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of andy devine
:musical_n

Back
Top Bottom