Facial hair and Mask sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ised to dive with a beard and just found it too much of a problem. I shaved it off and now I have a smoother less leaky mask dive experience.

do not use vaseline! it will ruin the silicone in your mask. I know someone who uses mustache wax. good luck

I've found that trimming the mustache helps. Also try silicone grease (must dive shops carry it). When you apply it work it in, if you just put it accross the mustache it is not very effective.

Getting a mask that fits is the most important thing you can do. I have a moustache and I don't trim it in any special way for diving. Sometimes the mask leaks a bit but I don't find it to be such a problem that I would resort to any sort of sealant or trimming.

I am hairy beast myself... My facial hair resembles Grizzly Adams...

I've NEVER had a problem with my mask not sealing... When I started my OW I did shave the first 3/8th under my nose, but soon discovered that the irratating feel is far worse than a leaky mask... But alas leaking hasn't been an issue for me.

I've bought the same mask three times now and love it!

BTW - It's an Look Mask

Back
Top Bottom