Faber Steel Tank 72cft Refinishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Guys:

Had my tank passed the hydrostatic test. Infortunately, rust has begun to set in where the test facility removed the paint to stamp the new Hydro date. Can someone recommend a procedure to remove the rust and what type of paint I should use to refinish the effected area? I take it the generic Rustoleum paint won't work in under water environment?

Thanks,
Claude

Any rust remover will get the rust off, naval jelly or even chrome polish has rust removing capabilities. You could even sand it out with a sanding sponge. I've refinished steel tanks before with strippers, sanders, galvanizing primers and two part epoxies and wont do that anymore. Spray away with your Rustoleum and down the road if you see it start to fail it is no big deal to quickly hit it again. You could even just spray a clear coat over that hydro stamp after removing the rust; that way your fill station won't think you've painted a tank after hydro. I know mine prefers a hydro after coating a tank. They may think your filling gouges or hiding something else instead of just liking fresh and clean looking stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom