Help with Faber tank specs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FABER 83/157/174 ARIA 200/300 Bar 15.0 Litri 15.7Kg *6-83

FABER = Manufacturer
83/157/174 = Serial Number
ARIA = Manufacturing Standard (assumed)
200/300 Bar = Working Pressure / Test Pressure (assumed)
15.0 Litri = Volume (litres)
15.7Kg = Weight (Empty)
*6-83 = Month and Year of manufactre

I say assumed because the markings do not match UK or European markings.

The 200bar would indicate its a low pressure cylinder.

I received this reply from a reputable chain of cervice centres:

"The 30 year limit is a policy that many testing centres and dive shops adhere to, after consulting with various cylinder manufacturers, since the removal of the age limit from the official legislation.

We do follow this 30 year recommendation due to various safety concerns, and as such would not be able to test your cylinder.

Based on the information you listed below, I suspect that your cylinder is a ¾ inch BSP cylinder, and it is only rated to 200 BAR.

These cylinders are now quite dangerous, due to the fact that ¾ inch BSP valves have not been available for quite some time and people either using the wrong ¾ NPSM or simply forcing an M25 valve into the cylinder, which have caused fatal accidents in the past.

The second safety issue is that almost all compressors are currently set for 232 BAR cylinders, as this is the industry standard, and this is much higher than the maximum rated pressure on your cylinder. Again, there have been accidents in South Africa that have been directly attributed to this issue.

When you combine these safety concerns with the fact that manufacturers also recommend a maximum lifespan of 20-25 years for steel cylinders, we deem it unwise to ignore the 30 year recommendation."

It would seem that (part of) the South African industry players decided to implement this soft rule, even though the regulations does not prohibit the use of older equipment.
Q: to go with the flow, or do I persist in my attempts to get it certified. I want to protect my rights without cutting corners and putting anyone in danger. As far as I am concerned condition cause danger, NOT age.
Your thoughts welcome.

My newest steel tanks are more than 30 yrs old.

Doesn't seem like you will have any luck getting them serviced.

My newest steel tanks are more than 30 yrs old.

Doesn't seem like you will have any luck getting them serviced.
If I can get the test spec for the particular cylinder, there is one company that is willing to test and certify it....but the devil lies in that one small detail, the specs.
I will make some more effort before giving up all hope.
Thank all for the input thus far.

These cylinders are now quite dangerous, due to the fact that ¾ inch BSP valves have not been available for quite some time and people either using the wrong ¾ NPSM or simply forcing an M25 valve into the cylinder, which have caused fatal accidents in the past.
Real issue (recent death due to this covered in another thread), but only if you don't use the right valve.

The second safety issue is that almost all compressors are currently set for 232 BAR cylinders, as this is the industry standard, and this is much higher than the maximum rated pressure on your cylinder. Again, there have been accidents in South Africa that have been directly attributed to this issue.
doubtful.

When you combine these safety concerns with the fact that manufacturers also recommend a maximum lifespan of 20-25 years for steel cylinders, we deem it unwise to ignore the 30 year recommendation."
doubtful.

FABER 83/157/174 ARIA 200/300 Bar 15.0 Litri 15.7Kg *6-83

FABER = Manufacturer
83/157/174 = Serial Number
ARIA = Manufacturing Standard (assumed)
200/300 Bar = Working Pressure / Test Pressure (assumed)
15.0 Litri = Volume (litres)
15.7Kg = Weight (Empty)
*6-83 = Month and Year of manufactre

I say assumed because the markings do not match UK or European markings.

The 200bar would indicate its a low pressure cylinder.
Using Google translate. Italian to English.
ARIA = Air
Litri = Liters

I used to have a 200 BAR faber cylinder of this vintage and this weight, that I believe was Italian spec. It was hydro tested in the UK during my ownership of it.

This was sold as I found it too buoyant.

I received this reply from a reputable chain of cervice centres:

"The 30 year limit is a policy that many testing centres and dive shops adhere to, after consulting with various cylinder manufacturers, since the removal of the age limit from the official legislation.

We do follow this 30 year recommendation due to various safety concerns, and as such would not be able to test your cylinder.

Based on the information you listed below, I suspect that your cylinder is a ¾ inch BSP cylinder, and it is only rated to 200 BAR.

It would seem that (part of) the South African industry players decided to implement this soft rule, even though the regulations does not prohibit the use of older equipment.
Q: to go with the flow, or do I persist in my attempts to get it certified. I want to protect my rights without cutting corners and putting anyone in danger. As far as I am concerned condition cause danger, NOT age.
Your thoughts welcome.
Hopefully you got this cylinder for free? Considering it’s age and out of test. And all you have put into it so far is time.

It would appear that even if you do find someone to test it. You would struggle to get it filled. Even getting the valve serviced may be problematic.

Maybe time to consider the cylinder you want to dive with. Is a 15l the correct size or would a smaller one like a 232BAR 12l suit you better? If cost is an issue for a new one, maybe a newer second hand one?

Hopefully you got this cylinder for free? Considering it’s age and out of test. And all you have put into it so far is time.

It would appear that even if you do find someone to test it. You would struggle to get it filled. Even getting the valve serviced may be problematic.

Maybe time to consider the cylinder you want to dive with. Is a 15l the correct size or would a smaller one like a 232BAR 12l suit you better? If cost is an issue for a new one, maybe a newer second hand one?
Yes, I got it from a friend FOC.
For as long as the certification is valid, (4 years for hydro, 1 year for visual)almost anyone will fill it....go figure!???
I have another 10l steel Faber of newer vintage. My intention was to use the 15l exclusively for filling a pcp air rifle.

Back
Top Bottom