Help with Faber tank specs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi All, I need to get some I formation on a Faber tank in order to get it hydro tested and certified.
Th center where I took it asked for manufacturing specifications in order to know the correct test procedure, but I get no joy From Faber after requesting the information by email.
Maybe someone here knows the correct specification or have a source where the info can be obtained.
On the tank is the following markings:
FABER 83/157/174 ARIA 200/300 Bar 15.0 Litri 15.7Kg *6-83
It is a steel tank in good condition and already passed visual inspection.
Any help to get it back in service would be much appreciated.
Pieter

You would guess that the test place would be in the best position to get the specs from faber.

First guess would be that it is not a South African spec cylinder. Would assume that they would know how to test South African spec cylinders.

Second guess is that it was manufactured in 1983. The 6-83 may show this.

In the mid/late 1980’s I became the owner of a 15l 200bar faber cylinder of about this age and weight. I took it to a shop in the UK who hydro tested it. This came to me via Malta and I believe it was an Italian spec cylinder. No idea if this has any relevance to you? Sold it due to the weight difference to my 15l heiser cylinder.

A cylinder of this age would likely have plenty of test stamps on it? Maybe contact the last place that tested/stamped it?

Thank you for the replies.
The problem is finding a shop that will make any effort getting specs for an old cylinder. I've heard (not confirmed myself yet) that dive shops are unwilling to rest cylinders older than a certain sate. Probably because of such issues or simply to rather sell you a new one?
I noticed that on newer cylinders, the specification is stamped on the cylinder, making things much easier.
I will keep looking and report back if I have success.
Otherwise I will l have to just admit defeat and splash out on a new cylinder.

The problem is finding a shop that will make any effort getting specs for an old cylinder. I've heard (not confirmed myself yet) that dive shops are unwilling to rest cylinders older than a certain sate. Probably because of such issues or simply to rather sell you a new one?

Are you talking with the dive shop or the test facility?

Are you talking with the dive shop or the test facility?
I am talking to one test facility directly. I need to do more research and see if I can locate other test facilities in my area.

I spoke to another test facility now, they automatically condemn anything older than 30 years.

I spoke to another test facility now, they automatically condemn anything older than 30 years.
Being in the US I would be temped to take it to them, read very carefully any paperwork before signing, let them condemn it because it is 30 years old, then at their expense ask for a new cylinder. And if not in the US we have small claims court which would be a slam dunk.

Short of that I would send a complaint to US DOT which over sees the US program. But alas you are in ZA.

Back
Top Bottom