Faber M-120 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just have a chance to pick up a used Faber M-120. I know nothing about the "balance" characteristics. When I dive dry with my steel HP80 it balances well, in a wet suit I am real "head down". So, I only use it dry. Does any one have any experience with the M-120 ? It is 3180 +. How long does the + last, seems to me I remember that it goes away with time. Looks like it will near 50 pounds full. Expect my right arm will stretch into it.

Any advice ?

tnx don O

Don,

You can contact us for information on the Faber M-120 cylinder. We sell alot of them and we can work with you on your trimming with this cylinder.

You can call us at 302-691-8234 anytime... Even in the evenings

Regards
Randy

Thanks for the offer Randy, but I am trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I am on the road and not a lot of time to "talk" about it. Just need a thumbnail,,,,,,,,,

tnx

Thanks, that's the easy info. Looking for info on how it handles/balances on your back, wet and dry.

don O

Donoo,
my son used a borrowed Faber M120 all summer as a working divemaster here on the Gulf Coast. He seemed to like it a lot. I thought it was a real monster, but I'm 56 and he's 21.
He is about 6 ft 1, and he said it trimmed out well with his OMS steel BP and big wing. He had it filled typically to 3500 psi. It is like 15/16 lb neg full, 6/7 neg empty.
He wanted to buy one, too, but I convinced him to try an HP120 or 130 before spending any money.
FWIW...

Thanks S&V, that is my concern also, the weight. I am trying to get rid of some dry suit weight, so a double edged sword. I am about 6' and 190, so it is border line for "fun".

don O

If you're looking for a big single tank and taking lead off of your belt, you can't go wrong with one of those tanks. They are heavy, but really negative. The "+" rating is good unless some hydro operator is too lazy to do the calcs and stamp it back on. In that case, next time find a hydro facility that will do the "+" ratings (it can be re-plussed on subsequent hydros).

I dive with the Mid Pressure 100's and doubles notwithstanding, don't dive any other tanks unless I have to.

They're the reason I can wear only 12lbs on my weight belt with a drysuit and 400gm unders.

I had an M120, and sold it on e-bay.
The tank would make me roll real easy if I was sitting still with a full tank.
The tank being -17 when full sure was alot of weight on my back at the start of a dive.
I switched to the Faber FX117, and have not looked back at all.
The 117 trimed out much better for me than the M120. I am 5'-11" and 205# and a yound 51 yrs old.
Jim Breslin

The M-120 is a monster of a cylinder there is no getting around that. Things to consider when looking at this cylinder

How much weight do you carry today with the cylinder you are diving with? If more than 12 to 14 lbs than this could be a good tank for you

Can you handle a 50lp cylinder on your back? If your in good shape that may not be a problem but you need to consider that.. Diving off a boat or walking into the water with this cylinder on your back?

Are you new to steel cylinders or new to diving? Either one can cause you to work a little harder in getting it to work with you on the dive. Divers who have dive with steel or have many dives should be able to adjust quickly to this cylinder.. What are you diving today with may allow us to help making sure you get it right before purchasing one..

Your height is fine because I'm 5' 10" 195lb and use this cylinder to dive with. You may have to move it slightly up or down to adjust it to fit comfortable and trim you out right.

Hope this helps...
Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom