Faber M-120 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, if I dive dry with an AL 80 I need 30 lbs. With my PST 80 I need 24 lbs. Looks like I only gain 3+lbs over my steel 80, but pick up a potentialy larger weight swing if I use a lot of gas. Yes, pick up a lot of weight in the tank,(20lbs) but get some (3lbs) off of the belt/harness and gain 40cf of air. Tough call, need to make up my mind in the next few days.

tnx don O

Well that's not quite right as I have to worry about my weight when I am low on air, not when I am full. Empty buoyancy is -3.3 vs -7.2. Assuming I don't run the 120 empty, or just run it down to 40 cu ft. then the difference would be greater. So I guess I might start off thinking 6lb's. + the 50% more air.

Then walking around it is 20lbs heavier then the steel 80 and 16lbs heavier the AL 80. Could be a real pain on a beach dive, not bad just falling of a boat, no fun climbing back on.

tnx don O

If you need 30lbs with your alum 80 and 24 with the Pst than use this as the rule... You can remove 12 to 14 lbs off your belt from the 30lbs of the alum 80... You may be able to take another pound or two but start there first and work off the pound or two later. So you would start with either 18 or 16 lbs on your weight belt which is a big difference...

If your diving in fresh water you can remove more lbs but that another story. Also you should come back with atleast 500 psi in your cylinder which will allow another pound or so off...

But you will need to dive it a couple of times to get used to the weight...

Randy

I'm 6'6" 220 and love the HP120 that you are considering. I also find my artic 7mm is a rollie pollie wetsuit-double 7mm at core when I wear both layers and extra weight in of tank settles that down. Really works well for my height. I did have to drop the weight 10 lb. extra plates I had on my DSS back plate with a 30 lb. wing. Just wouldn't float the HP120 when full. Floats fine @ 1000psi! Dropped the plates & added the 10 to belt. Keeps you honest weight wise. I stay in shape to dive anyway but really can't fake it to use this tank. Looking to exchange my 30 lb. DSS wing for a 40 lb. DSS wing.

When considering the 120, consider whether your BC will float the tank and if you use a wing with any extra weight on it you may have to drop the extra weight, as I did, or get a bigger wing. Anybody want to trade your DSS 40# wing for my DSS 30#?

Back
Top Bottom