Faber 108's instead of waiting for PST?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
I missed the boat on purchasing the new e-series tanks from PST. I've been diving for about a year now, and I've mostly dove singles, while just recently doubles (please do not give me the lecture on a newbie diving doubles :) I've already had this lecture. Duly noted..).

Since PST's are nowhere in site, and may be so for the foreseeable future I'm considering purchasing another mfg steel tanks. I was quoted a package for Faber LP 108's, Highland bands and Sea Elite Manifold for $690 shipped. This seems like a reasonable deal. My LDS wanted $575 for a used rental doubles package PST LP95. They were beat though.

Here are some concerns I have with going with Fabers:
- painted vs. Hot dipped
- buoyancy characteristics - Fabers are I believe positive with 500 PSI in them

What are your thoughts? I'm anxious to get into a set of tanks soon. I'm weary about buying used tanks especially from a LDS. I could keep renting tanks at $20/weekend. But this would add up until the PST tanks finally show up.

I believe the same source that is offering me the Fabers will have PST119's in stock around July time frame. I'm a little concerned with the height of the 119's though. I'm a tall person (6'3"). I've heard about others problems with trimming this tanks out. The Fabers are 2 inches taller. I thought the tanks I wanted to buy from PST were the E7-120's.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

oharag

Wait for PSTs. There is really no comparison between the two tanks. I have both, and PSTs win hands down.

Also, if you're going to doubles, get E8-130s, not the 119s. That will take care of the length issue also.

MD

Fabers have an extremely long track record, and if you treat 'em right, they'll give you decades of excellent service. Don't let anyone tell you that PST is head-and-shoulders above Fabers; if they do, they're full of BS.

I dive both, and like both, but prefer the Fabers (slightly). Both are excellent equipment!

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom