FAA approves flying car...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Late next year, you'll be able to buy your own flying car -- er, "roadable aircraft" -- thanks to a thumbs-up from the Federal Aviation Administration. As long as you have $194,000 and a sport pilot license.

The agency approved the Transition plane-car this week, giving it a Light Sport Aircraft rating. The test prototype has been flying for about a year, but plane-maker Terrafugia will unveil its production-class plane next month at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual convention in Oshkosh, Wisc.

Terrafugia Flying Car Approved by FAA, Will Be Available Next Year | Popular Science

Now if they would just add a dive boat option...

Its interesting that they got an exemption to the LSA weight limit to allow for DOT mandated safety equipment.

Using that same logic, we could problably get a flying dive boat certified under the LSA rules if we can get them to exempt all the coast guard mandated safety equipment. The bad news is the useful load limits for a LSA - not much left over for dive gear.

I'm just curious what the rules are going to be about where you can take off/land one of these things at.

But unlike your Prius, it can unfold its wings and fly. You'll only need a one-third of a mile strip for a runway, meaning you could conceivably use your own street.

I'm just curious what the rules are going to be about where you can take off/land one of these things at.
That also brings into question the stall speed and speeding tickets :popcorn:

Officer, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Pilot, "I was just above stall speed, I was flying."
Officer, "Well my radar clocked you coming down the street at 115 MPH, you were flying a little too fast"
Pilot, "But Sir I hadn't landed yet!"

It is still a plane...so I would imagine airports. However if you can simply fold up the wings and drive away that is fine. There are over 5000 airports in this country!

It is still a plane...so I would imagine airports. However if you can simply fold up the wings and drive away that is fine. There are over 5000 airports in this country!

Yeah, but you can you imagine getting it through TSA? :wink:

Actually, you could land it in a cow pasture, if you wanted to, and the landowner didn't mind.

Actually, you could land it in a cow pasture, if you wanted to, and the landowner didn't mind.

I might be more concerned about what the cows thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom