F4U Corsair Gosford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SM-1 and the Gossford both fared very well in this season's storms. The current created surges inside the SM-1 and you had to be careful not to get sucked into a sharp piece of steel or a cable. But it provided two great dives. Most of the machinery is still in place, a little more rusty. She has a good cover of Kelp now as well. For those who like wrecks (especially upside down ones), the SM-1 makes a great dive--but low vis, currents and hazards as well.

As Frank said the Gossford was loaded with life. We saw a monkeyface prickleback (my first) sunflower starfish, fish eating anemone, spars with ten nudibranch of three different kinds, and the list goes on and on. The bow is intact and you can see the capstan and the mast holders as well as cleats, spars and a bit of the hold section. This would have been a macro photographers dream, except that you were constantly thrown by the surge, so being still for a shot would have been impossible.
The ecology is definitely different from Catalina and more reflective of mid-coast.

All in all a perfect day on the water

Jerry

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time! I am slightly jealous. My other club did the yukon and Ruby E on Sunday. Great diving, 30-40 ft vis first dive, 25-30 second and night dive the third. Great day on the water, too!

Boat owner checking in. I would love to locate that wreck outside Laguna. Have boat need numbers and a few more divers. PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom