Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let’s be honest, we’re not talking about a beachfront mansion here. Is anyone privy to the sale price or have knowledge of what comps in the area are going for? Can’t be more than a million or 2 dollars. Sounds like a lot of $ but it could easily be raised with a collaborative effort.

You really comparing Chester County with NYC, CT and NJ? Seriously? Number of people and income? Certified divers?
Not a full on demographic comparison, you brought up money like we are a bunch of poor bumpkin farmers. I suggested that location partially in jest, and selfishness. but a two to four hour circle would cover more people there than NYC and the land would be much cheaper.

Gilboa Quarry in rural NW Ohio reportedly sold for just over a million earlier this year. Bet Dutch would be selling for much more given it’s in the NE.

I believe that a number of IE's are done there. A group from Maine went down last fall.
Yes, I did my IE there. And my Specialty Instructor courses. I haven't been back to Dutch Springs, or the USA, in years but it will be missed. I reached out to a PADI CD who does his training there to find out more information. Perhaps there is a plan. I'll add a post if I hear from him.

Heard back from the Course Director. The current sales agreement allows no access to the lake and there is a rumor that the lake will be filled in.

Pearl Lake on the IL/WI border was sold two years ago after 50 years with the same owner. It was a nice man made lake that went to 70ft at its deepest. There was a swimming beach on one end. Campsites and RVs around the lake. Nice benches for gearing up and covered pavilions. Lots of fun stuff to look at in the lake and tons of fish.

It was sold to a big RV park company. The management company doesn’t want anything to do with individual divers any longer. The beach is closed to the public. You have to be camping or have an RV spot to use the beach. Diving has to be done under a shop-sponsored group. All divers have to have DAN insurance if you’re not in a class. You do all paperwork with the dive shop and then only one person (group leader) is allowed to go into the office to check in. Only 13 people max allowed at each dive access point. I was there yesterday to fun dive as part of a shop group that also had a class going. Viz was 20-30ft compared with the 2ft at my home quarry.

It’s said the sales contract only stipulated diving for two years. I hope the diving goes for longer.

Just using that as an example of what’s happened locally with another long term dive site.

Sad news.. I just looked back at some pictures from the last time I was there with @ericfine50 in like 2003. I remember it being cold.. :)

Happens here in the keys all the time
Developer buys a mobile home park to convert to condos, people complain petition.
In the end new condos are up for sale
Just the way this usually goes
Good luck

Happens here in the keys all the time
Developer buys a mobile home park to convert to condos, people complain petition.
In the end new condos are up for sale
Just the way this usually goes
Good luck

True that. Developers typically get their way. Money talks. Florida has unfortunately passed additional new laws further tipping the scales toward the developers. It has been going on in Florida for well over 150 years. Just read River of Grass or The Swamp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom