Extra nights after Liveaboard, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going Postal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are doing the Manthiri live aboard in September. Some of us are thinking of staying a couple extra days after we depart the boat. We would like to get away from the main, busy areas. but not too far from Male. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Resort on a local island. Someplace that won't take won't take hours to get back to Male to make our departing flights.

I just came back from Malahini and Bandos Resort. Both resorts are 10 minutes from airport by speedboat.
You may see my Malahini and Bandos photos:
Just back from Malahini and Bandos Resort

I also went to Maafushi, a local island twice. It is about 40 minutes by speedboat from airport.
No pork or alcohol is allowed on local island but hotels are cheap, from USD$40-120 per room. Meals are from USD$10-15. Dive rates from USD$40 per dive.

You may see my Maafushi photos.

2017 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi again

2015 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi local island

The below Male nearby resorts have water villa:
Kurumba Maldives
Baros
Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
Thulhagiri Island Resort

I can't say if it is worth it to you but when I planned my trip to the Maldives two years ago (aborted due to the discovery of cancer two days before I was to depart), I planned on two weeks on a LOB and one week checking things out topside. I always like to include sequences of the area, accommodations and culture in my dive travel videos.

My understanding is there are not resorts on local islands, you'll get guest houses but they are subject to local laws including no alcohol, conservative dress etc.

Resorts with good diving a short distance from Male include Baros, Angsana Ihuru and Huvafen. However, none of these are cheap. I believe Bandos is well enough respected and would presumably access similar sites.

We do a one week liveaboard and then a week in a resort. We are not hardcore divers though (i.e. more than 30 dives a day starts to make me sleepy!).

Personally I really enjoy a few beach days after a liveaboard.

Can't advise on resorts near Male, but there are a handful within an hours boatride or so. It is very personal, but I have enjoyd staying on resort islands and think you 're missing a lot if you only experience the sea and not the islands. It is not very cost efficient for diving though -- they will rip you off royally. The local islands are cheaper but only "cheap" when compared to the resort islands. By international (SEA) standards, not really cheap to stay, eat and dive. And as said, no booze, no bacon, no bikini ... and from what I've seen, pretty far from the paradise island cliché that the Maldives is so famous for. Each to their own.

I think the local islands costs are almost the same or close to the SEA costs, so it is very "cheap".
And the local islands diving experience are a lot better than SEA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom