Extending shore dive range with inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a decent kayak, paddle out and then tow it with you as if it is your dive flag. Go out as far as you feel comfy with then paddle back in. Thats what I do. I also have a gps chartplotter on it so I know what depth I am jumping into. I am a huge surface swim junkie also. If I have a calm day I will come up pretty far out and just take my time coming in. I have only been doing the kayak thing for 2 years.

I'm thinking about buying either the sea eagle 330 or the sea eagle, as show here. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should choose? ANy input shared would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

whatever you choose kayak or inflatable make sure you practice getting back into it before you take it out. it can be challenging unless you develop a technique that works since there are no steps.

I'm thinking about buying either the sea eagle 330 or the sea eagle, as show here. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should choose? ANy input shared would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I do not think an inflatable kayak is a good idea for scuba diving. It is only a matter of time before some piece of your gear punchers a hole in it somewhere. The hard plastic sit on tops can take a lot more abuse and are lower to the water making them easier to get back onto.

In the end, here's what I bought:
Intex Mariner 4 Inflatable Boat Only $269 (Sold Here)
Ended up buying it somewhere else for $229 incl shipping. Good deal.

Haven't dove with it yet but I will shortly. I plan to do a practice run on a calm lake so the 2 of us can work out any problems and set a routine before we hit the ocean. I know getting into the boat from a dive might be an issue. Was thinking of rigging some kind of step/ladder to help. What I'm looking forward to most of all is planting the flag with the boat so we don't have to tow it. Dive flag = PITA! If it doesn't work out, we didn't spend a lot of money and we had some fun trying.

As for the Sea Eagle 330, I looked at that. I thought it would be too small for 2 divers and our gear...? Kayaks were more expensive and less stable. The Intex will allow us to kick back and enjoy an afternoon in the sun and bring a cooler with lunch. I'll post back to let you know how it all goes.

dd

PS Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions... I did take them all into consideration.

Last edited:
How is it working for you?

How is it working for you?

Pretty lousy... I haven't had the chance to go diving yet. I'll post when we hit the ocean later this month...

Time is not in plentiful supply and my wife is always coming up with new projects. Tell me how to get out of the wifey projects and I'll post a response sooner!!!

In the end, here's what I bought:
Intex Mariner 4 Inflatable Boat Only $269 (Sold Here)
Ended up buying it somewhere else for $229 incl shipping. Good deal.

Haven't dove with it yet but I will shortly. I plan to do a practice run on a calm lake so the 2 of us can work out any problems and set a routine before we hit the ocean. I know getting into the boat from a dive might be an issue. Was thinking of rigging some kind of step/ladder to help. What I'm looking forward to most of all is planting the flag with the boat so we don't have to tow it. Dive flag = PITA! If it doesn't work out, we didn't spend a lot of money and we had some fun trying.

As for the Sea Eagle 330, I looked at that. I thought it would be too small for 2 divers and our gear...? Kayaks were more expensive and less stable. The Intex will allow us to kick back and enjoy an afternoon in the sun and bring a cooler with lunch. I'll post back to let you know how it all goes.

dd

PS Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions... I did take them all into consideration.

Have a rope hanging from the side of the boat. When you're done diving, take your BC off in the water and clip it to the rope. Keep your fins on and you'll kick right up into your boat. Works easy for me on my RIB. I do have a back up rope ladder (made for jet skis). I dove with both of these toys...

My boat1.jpgupload1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom