Extending shore dive range with inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inflatables are worrisome for me. What is your backup plan if you puncture it while moving your gear to and from the boat. A reliable BIB is not going to be cheap. I use a perception kayak that cost me $450 brand new. Fabricated my own rack and loading system and added some other goodies to my kayak. I also splurged on a good cart. I have less than $900 into the whole getup. Paddling a BIB a half mile is gonna soak some energy where a kayak will leave you with plenty to spare. SOTs are almost unsinkable. Piece of mind.

I have two OK kayaks and a 14 foot Novurania Cancura inflatable. The thought that inflatables puncture and go flat is in some ways silly. You would about as soon puncture my Hypalon Cancura as the tires on my Jeep. Yeah, it can be done but unlike a tire, real inflatables have multiple chambers. It is not a pool toy. I have owned it since about 1984 and ranged up to 20 miles off shore with it using engines from 10 to 35 horsepower. It is best with the old two stroke 25 horse Mercs and Yamahas. I caught a bull shark once fishing from it, he bit the sponson pretty hard, not even a mark. They are pretty tough boats, not toys.

My OK Scupper Pro TW is fine for journeys of several miles. It has a rudder system, portable radio, GPS, compass and is rigged for diving. I can carry a second tank in the front storage well.

I usually do not anchor the kayaks, I just tow them as if they were a a dive float, which they are. The inflatable is usually too heavy to tow but I have certainly drift dived with it and just rode along the current.

However, often I do not have access to my boats, so I just swim it having done more than a couple miles offshore swimming. It is a a long time in the water, tow an inner tube for flag and a resting place. Really an impractical distance but if it is the only way then it must be.

N

yea its pretty innovative, UTD is always exploring different ways to add to or improve diving.

I like that! Was there any mention of price?

edit: I just found the prices... starts at $900 and goes up from there depending on size.

Great idea! I have 2 inflatable kayaks (whitewater) but I worry about the wind resistance. This is a low enough profile that it shouldn't be a problem. I like the versatility. My only hang-up is the cost - not that it is unreasonable, it is not - I just don't have that much to spend on any one piece of gear. The tank inflator option is great. I would use a common 12V inflator to get the volume into the SUP and then use an 'empty' tank to get the pressure needed.

:D If any of my dive buddies want to get one for themselves, I'll accompany them with one of my hardshell SOTs (if they will carry my tank). :D

My only hang-up is the cost - not that it is unreasonable, it is not - I just don't have that much to spend on any one piece of gear.

I think it's a bit expensive and definitely not in the price range I was looking at. Can't seem to find more info i.e. material and thickness.

I do not see how a paddle board would make a good dive platform really. There is nothing but a few bungee straps holding the rig. At least with a kayak there is a molded in tank well and I used a plastic buckle, not the bungees. I do like how it rolls up so small and that it is rock hard when inflated. Maybe there is more to it.

N

... At least with a kayak there is a molded in tank well and I used a plastic buckle, not the bungees. I do like how it rolls up so small and that it is rock hard when inflated. Maybe there is more to it.

N

The one thing missing from the inflatable is a tank well. Seems funny that they designed it for scuba, but it doesn't look like it was designed for scuba. If I had the resources, I'd design my own scuba paddle board... With the price of the UTD, I'm back to looking for an inflatable boat or kayak.

I do not see how a paddle board would make a good dive platform really. There is nothing but a few bungee straps holding the rig. At least with a kayak there is a molded in tank well and I used a plastic buckle, not the bungees. I do like how it rolls up so small and that it is rock hard when inflated. Maybe there is more to it. N

UTD also designed a side mount system Z Side Mount which is pretty good and most of the UTD folks dive side mount (i'm still diving BM) so the only thing strapped down would be a tank or two. You would wearing the rest. Same as Kayak diving, see link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGZvuzW0Aw

Hmmm, I see. I have little interest in sm. But thanks, now I see what they are doing. From my kayaks I rig the wing, bp and tank fully and put it in the rear tank well and put a leash on it. Then I pull the kayak retention STRAP over it and buckle and cinch. My fins and mask etc are in the forward hatch or sometimes bungeed and stowed between my legs. I wear my wetsuit or whatever I am wearing. I flip around in a pirouette while still in my seat and unbuckle my rig and roll it into the water after partially inflating the wing. It is still on the tether line. I put my fins on and mask and roll into the water (if it is rough I may put my fins on before the pirouette and allow my legs to hang over for stability and balance), come up under my rig and essentially swim into it. Release the tank tether, grab the anchor/kayak leash line and away I go. Getting back in is just the opposite. Not hard at all. Everything is ALWAYS leashed until I put it on and BEFORE taking it off.

I used to and still do sometimes dive from my kayak with NO BC. This means, like in the sm video there is potential for loosing the tank and regulator. If the water is calm I will often just flip backwards in the kayak, my rig is prepositioned in the well, I do an overhead entry to the harness and then flip overboard. Getting back out, I remove the rig in the water, after clipping to the kayak tank tether, I get onboard and then flip the tank into the well and secure with the kayak tank strap. The rig is always tethered if it is not on me.

I do this because I had to, early on, do a couple of gear recoveries, fortunately it was shallow water. I learned to always tether everything if I want to keep it. I am not particularly impressed with that video clip with the sm system. Looks like a cf to me and high potential for losing a rig.

Like I said, I usually keep my mask and fins and other loose gear in the bow hatch, sometimes even another tank. But if it is going to be rough and I do not want to open the forward hatch then I use a short bungee tether riveted to my kayak that I pass through the fin straps and mask strap. In this case, while underway, the tethered mask and fins ride in-between my legs on that tether line. My paddle is also on a leash. Everything is always leashed/tethered.

I have learned to install flotation into my kayak. I was using noodles but those add weight so what I have done now is purchased two LARGE sausages. These are permanently slid inside the kayak and inflated. They kinda squished themselves into either side in the channel created between the seat well and kayak gunnels. They are sufficient to keep the kayak afloat even if it is flooded. I have practiced de-flooding in the pool, on the open ocean, dunno. I do have a small bailing pump.

The three kayaks I have used are:
1. OK Scupper Pro TW- big, fast, seaworthy, 16 feet long
2. OK Caper- smaller but similar to the Scupper, easier for me to handle and load, 11 feet long
3. OK Scrambler- the universal SCUBA yak, never bought one but have used them. Kinda fugly, ugly, slow but stable, 12ish feet long

N

Last edited:
This looks like a great dive kayak but they don't make them anymore...

diveyak.jpg

Anyone know of something similar? To me, this would be a good solution for what I want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom