Extending shore dive range with inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP a small motor is the way to go. Can't you paddle away from the beach then use the motor? Have you considered an electic motor? Some of these green winne types go gaga over electric motors and it'd be easier to get by with. It could even be left unmounted until you use it, just lay it on the floor, or tie it off to the side. It won't go fast but you wouldn't need to paddle....as much. Most inflatables have compartments so one hole will not sink you but paddling back would be tiring.

Hi AfterDark, I'm looking at an Intex Mariner 4, which seems to come highly regarded as being better quality than a lot of the other so-called "cheap" inflatable rafts but it's nowhere near an Achilles or Zodiac. Has "floorboards" and an inflatable keel. They can come with motor mounts and an electric motor... How it would do in the ocean is anybody's guess. It would certainly beat paddling however slow. I'm not at all worried about sinking the boat and getting back to shore bc we'll be close enough to swim back. Most of my diving is lobstering off MA. I know you're in RI so you can probably relate to what I'm trying to do. Just trying to get to certain spots that are hard to get to bc it's a long surface swim and certain areas are hard to access. When I was younger, I'd probably do this swim and think nothing of it...

Probably could paddle out away from the beach then use the motor, but then I'd probably already paddled out about half way to where I want to go... :) Really just trying to keep it simple. I guess my concern is how hard it is for 2 guys to paddle out about a mile on a nice NE day (sunny, warm, 2' seas, wind 5-7mph). I guess the 2 main concerns are wind and current if the paddling is not easy?

I would still recommend kayaks. Two used SOTs would be cheeper then an inflatable. They are also easier to transport & carry across the beach with two people. They would take less energy to paddle and could be towed behind you as you dive so they will always be close by when you surface. If you chose to go that route you would also have the option of leaving the tank in the kayak if you make an umbilical that will provide you with air and tow the kayak. I can comfortably paddle out to about 5 miles from where I put in, dive and then paddle back without being worn out. I do not think, even with two people paddling, you could cover that distance as easily or as quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 405
I have used 2 inflatable boats for just what the OP is asking about. It can work in the right circumstances. The biggest problem is paddling against the wind. An inflatable boat has more friction with the water and MUCH more wind catching surface area than does a kayak.

Point Lobos. Whaler's Cove to Bluefish Cove: 13' self-bailing whitewater raft. Loaded with 4 divers and 8 tanks. All four paddled out and we had lunch out on the water. An oversized folding grapple anchor (think it weighs 7#) with plenty of anchor line scope. Works well IF THERE IN NO WIND.

Point Lobos. Same boat as above but fitted with oars and a frame. Rowed by one person. I did the oars once with kelp and will not use oars in that case again. Paddles yes. I have also taken the boat out with some wind. Too much work.

Lake Tahoe, DL Bliss State Park to Rubicon Pt/wall. 13' boat above fitted with oars. Works well. Was even better getting a powered tow back in :).

Stillwater Cove, Carmel, CA: Used a Sevylor SeaHawk II with 2 divers and 4 tanks. Paddled out with the 2 people. Very calm area and too far to swim. We got 2 dives out there. The larger boat is too much work to take down the stairs and set up if only diving with 2 people. This is the only way I dive this site.

These are all protected areas, under good/very good conditions. Unless you are using them to go to places you can't swim far enough for AND doing 2 dives it isn't worth the work.
Boat on beach.jpgBoat at Bluefish cove.png
And yes I have thought about trying to find a small motor.

Hi AfterDark, I'm looking at an Intex Mariner 4, which seems to come highly regarded as being better quality than a lot of the other so-called "cheap" inflatable rafts but it's nowhere near an Achilles or Zodiac. Has "floorboards" and an inflatable keel. They can come with motor mounts and an electric motor... How it would do in the ocean is anybody's guess. It would certainly beat paddling however slow. I'm not at all worried about sinking the boat and getting back to shore bc we'll be close enough to swim back. Most of my diving is lobstering off MA. I know you're in RI so you can probably relate to what I'm trying to do. Just trying to get to certain spots that are hard to get to bc it's a long surface swim and certain areas are hard to access. When I was younger, I'd probably do this swim and think nothing of it...

Probably could paddle out away from the beach then use the motor, but then I'd probably already paddled out about half way to where I want to go... :) Really just trying to keep it simple. I guess my concern is how hard it is for 2 guys to paddle out about a mile on a nice NE day (sunny, warm, 2' seas, wind 5-7mph). I guess the 2 main concerns are wind and current if the paddling is not easy?

i'd recommend a sit on top kayak as well --- depending on your location - if you stick a motor on a vessel (an inflatable or even a kayak) gas or electric -- it may be treated as a regular boat (ie need to be registered, etc.) I know it's that way in florida - the only issue with kayaks in florida is some cities regulate where you can launch from.

I'm not the most athletic guy, but for ocean beach diving I've found a kayak - even a SOT can be a huge PITA when the current shifts, seas get rough, storm blows in, seabreeze picks up, etc.

i'd recommend a sit on top kayak as well --- depending on your location - if you stick a motor on a vessel (an inflatable or even a kayak) gas or electric -- it may be treated as a regular boat (ie need to be registered, etc.) I know it's that way in florida - the only issue with kayaks in florida is some cities regulate where you can launch from.

I don't want a motor. Just trying to keep it easy and simple. Motor does add another regulation, I think.

Given my experience with inflatable boats - if you want to keep it easy and simple then use a properly designed SOT kayak. I am using what I already have. I keep thinking about using my SOT kayaks, but they are designed for whitewater and pose stability and storage issues. If I were going to go BUY something (without a motor) to dive from it would be a SOT ocean kayak with plenty of storage space.

Back
Top Bottom