Extending shore dive range with inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This looks like a great dive kayak but they don't make them anymore...

View attachment 173479

Anyone know of something similar? To me, this would be a good solution for what I want.

I have a couple of Sevylor RX-1s (high quality whitewater inflatable kayaks). They will each carry the gear for a one-tank dive. Might even be able to carry a second tank. Very stable. My concern is the effect of wind on paddling. i'll let you know how well they work if I actually use them for diving this weekend. A lot will depend on the conditions at Pt. Lobos.

With any inflated floor stiffness is an issue. Drop stitched floors (like my newer RX-1) are very stiff, tube inflated floors (like my older RX-1) aren't nearly so stout and the paddling is much harder.

Attachments

• yellow IK.jpg
    yellow IK.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 355
I used to have one of those. I was not very happy with it. It did not paddle well at all. I much prefer a hard shell SOT kayak. Those Sevylor may work if you only need to paddle a short distance. They blow around too much, were too squishy and had no directional stability under way.

N

I used to have one of those. I was not very happy with it. It did not paddle well at all. I much prefer a hard shell SOT kayak. Those Sevylor may work if you only need to paddle a short distance. They blow around too much, were too squishy and had no directional stability under way.

N

Sounds like you had the first version - the floor on that one is nowhere near as stiff as the later model with the dropstiched floor. Since they are designed for whitewater, they are not designed for directional stability. As for the getting blown around with the wind, that is my biggest concern. I agree that a hard-shell SOT would be better out on the water. The problem with the hard-shell is weight and transportation.

On my dives this weekend I'm going to bring the inflatable kayak (IK) above and one of my whitewater hard-shell SOT with a couple of tie-downs for the stern deck. IF the IK gets on the water I'll report back. Neither boat is optimal, just all I have for the likely future. It if works I'll post pics. FWIW lack of directional stability doesn't bother me - my experience is in whitewater where that is desired.

Sounds like you had the first version - the floor on that one is nowhere near as stiff as the later model with the dropstiched floor. Since they are designed for whitewater, they are not designed for directional stability. As for the getting blown around with the wind, that is my biggest concern. I agree that a hard-shell SOT would be better out on the water. The problem with the hard-shell is weight and transportation.

On my dives this weekend I'm going to bring the inflatable kayak (IK) above and one of my whitewater hard-shell SOT with a couple of tie-downs for the stern deck. IF the IK gets on the water I'll report back. Neither boat is optimal, just all I have for the likely future. It if works I'll post pics. FWIW lack of directional stability doesn't bother me - my experience is in whitewater where that is desired.

I am not arguing, just relaying my experience with that type of boat. My SOT like the Caper and the Scupper are nothing like your white water SOT and both paddle well on open ocean waters. Getting blown about IS a concern if you have more than a few hundred yards to cover and in use I have paddled several miles to the site and back. My Scupper has a rudder, the Caper does not. The rudder is a definite asset on the ocean where the wind might be blowing one way and the current yet another and the waves neither of those.

I have done only a minor amount of white water stuff, took a course in it too. I do know that whitewater and stream kayaking is NOTHING like being on the ocean and they are very much two different things with only a little bit of cross over.

But, you got to learn what is best for your need and I do wish it goes well and you do not lose anything, lol!

N

I don't understand the bias against your idea of a small inflatable boat, it sounds like a workable idea to me. I've done some kayak diving and they are fine for that, but in my mind there's no comparison between a boat and a kayak, the boat has far better stability and utility for diving. The issue of rowing or paddling against the wind is a canard, unless you go out when it's blowing like a gale. A lightweight boat with no motor has little inertia and little windage. Two oars or paddles are powerful enough to make headway under even fairly windy conditions. I used an 18 lb mushroom anchor for my 11ft airfloor inflatable with 80lb motor, and it always held. If you are concerned about the anchor holding, set it properly, watch for dragging while gearing up, and then place it by hand in a wedge spot at the start of the dive if that's an option. Get a bigger anchor and/or use a fluke if it's exclusively a sand bottom, it doesn't take a lot to hold a 200lb boat. Put 10ft of 5/16" chain at the anchor for chafe protection and scope improvement. I did a lot of diving from that 11 ft boat up to a couple miles from the launch point, often in 10-20 knot winds, and the anchor always held, though I always set it by hand on the rocky bottom. I use the same anchor now for a 16ft inflatable with 225lb motor and it still works without issue.

... The issue of rowing or paddling against the wind is a canard, unless you go out when it's blowing like a gale. A lightweight boat with no motor has little inertia and little windage. Two oars or paddles are powerful enough to make headway under even fairly windy conditions.

What do you have for an inflatable? All I'm looking to do is basically paddle a "platform" out so we can stick a flag in the water and get out just a little farther than if we did a surface swim. If it's more work than a surface swim, it defeats the purpose. Good to hear someone thinks it's a worthwhile idea...

I used to have a Sevlor inflatable "fish hunter" model raft. It was fairly heavy duty but not like a zodiac or other HD style inflatable.
I put an electric trolling motor on it and my buddy and I would go out just beyond shore diving range. It worked OK and got us out in to deep water. It eventually started to fall apart and after patching it a million times I finally cut it up and threw it away piece by piece and sold the motor.

I use a kayak now. It's an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT w/ a tank well. Overall it's about the best option for me. It's better than a scooter because it's cheaper than any decent scooter (that's not a snorkelling toy), it doesn't require a motor (and associated fees), it can be launched anywhere, it allows you to get out of the water after the dive, it gives you more range than a scooter, and you can carry drinking water and a snack which you can't do with a scooter.
Where I live there are not many options for boat launching. Kayaks give me a lot more launch options plus give me range.
Once you get your kayak the maintenance is almost nil. Eventually things like clips and loops may need to be replaced but I've been using mine for 10 years and I got it second hand and still have never had to really service it. You need to keep them out of the sun when stored.
I also have a set of beach wheels I made. I can load all my stuff on it like BC rig, fins, weight belt, everything, and wheel it to the beach.
One thing I can't do is carry an extra tank for change out. I still have to come back to shore for that. But they make kayaks big enough now that a person could do that.

Tried out my whitewater SOT at Pt. Lobos today. It doesn't have a tank well and that proved to be a major problem. The tank rides too high off the water and makes it too tippy. The Inflatable carries the gear well. Since I abandoned my try with the SOT we didn't try getting the IK out either. That will be for another day. BTW my buddy a novice paddler liked how the IK handled in the calm area at Whaler's Cove - he's eager for a real try.

Tried out my whitewater SOT at Pt. Lobos today. It doesn't have a tank well and that proved to be a major problem. The tank rides too high off the water and makes it too tippy. The Inflatable carries the gear well. Since I abandoned my try with the SOT we didn't try getting the IK out either. That will be for another day. BTW my buddy a novice paddler liked how the IK handled in the calm area at Whaler's Cove - he's eager for a real try.
Yeah, you really have to have a tank well for them to work good. Otherwise it's a pain.

You could also use one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaJpSck4qg

Or these:
http://www.instantboats.com/ggull.htm

Here's the set of plans I have, but I haven't built it yet:
http://www.boatdesigns.com/15-6-Dory-rowing-dory/products/122/

Last edited:
What do you have for an inflatable? All I'm looking to do is basically paddle a "platform" out so we can stick a flag in the water and get out just a little farther than if we did a surface swim. If it's more work than a surface swim, it defeats the purpose. Good to hear someone thinks it's a worthwhile idea...
I had a Quicksilver 10' airfloor that weighed about 75lbs, and could be quickly (no floor sections to deal with) deployed, or rolled up into the size of a large suitcase. That meant it was a breeze for two to carry, or even one when needed. It had rowlocks for fairly efficient rowing, and proper hand oars would work fine as well. The boat was versatile and handy - if I had more space, I'd still have it. It handled 3 divers with single tanks (and a 15HP motor) - but that was really the limit - or one or two with two tanks each. Eric above mentioned the Sevylor, and I would imagine this was similar in size and utility, but the Quicksilver was fairly durable - heavy PVC fabric with welded seams, it never showed any signs of decay. I paid $1100 for it in 2000, I don't know where they are currently.

If I lived in a suitable area and didn't want a bigger boat for other uses, I'd consider exactly what you are. It's nice to start and finish the dives in a boat, and a small one is very manageable both at home and at the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom