Explain to me why you own your own tank(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tons of various gear is impossible to rent. A 2L steel O2 bottle with a top post valve? Forget it.
I have several for rent, same with 3L and 4L. Swing by.

I don't get why I'd want to own my own tank(s). There has to be a reason, but I'm failing to see it. Right now, I go to my LDS, rent the tanks, bring them back. Its two trips to the shop. If I buy tanks, I still have to bring them to the LDS to fill them (and then I need to wait for them to fill them), so I save one trip to the LDS, but then I need to add regular inspections. It seems like it isn't worth it, especially if you fly somewhere where you are likely to rent tanks (and weights)... but I must be missing reasons that you all prefer to own your own tanks -- so fill me in! Is it because you really want a very specific tank material, size etc. and can't usually get them at the shop? Are you obsessed about making sure nobody touches your stuff? What is your reason?
Some possible reasons:
1. The LDS does not offer the type of tank/tanks that you prefer. You might want them smaller, larger, longer, shorter, lighter, heavier, concave bottom, convex bottom, doubles, sidemounted, steel etc. If you dive with a basic Al80 backmounted, then the LDS will serve you well, though.
2. You (or your non-commercial dive club) own a compressor and you want to avoid all the driving to the LDS and back
3. Fill now, dive next month, without a trip to the LDS
4. You do ice diving and you want to make sure that there is no moisture in the tanks (causing annoying free flows)
5. Fills are cheaper than rental. This becomes a factor if you dive A LOT

I did a Google & YouTube search on retail self-service scuba tank station and found nothing. How does this work and how do you pay?

It's on a bit of an honor system, but it's also attached to the owner's house. You just pull behind his house, put your tanks in one of the water tubs (keeps them from getting really hot), connect a fill hose, and then open it up until the tanks are full without filling too fast (~maybe 15-20 minutes). For paying, there's a computer you can make an account in and input the starting and ending pressures and size / count of tanks (and which gas), and it will add the total to your account balance based on the per cubic foot price. There's a card reader nearby to pay whatever that amount is. Last time I went the payment system and account balance weren't connected so you had to just manually input the payment amount as well.

i own a 30 cf poney. The 80's i rent them. It s not i don't won't to buy them. We live in a small flat second floor, space is limited. The 30 CF my local dive shop fill it for free. In any case i have a transfill whip and i am able to top it off.

By chance i have access to 3 dive shop. Two on my way to work and home so i don't loose any time at all. The others one is like 3 min walk from the main dive site.

In the greater south Florida area? Feels like at least five people would manage to blow themselves up in the first week!
I'm guessing there isn't enough pressure in the system to blow up a tank in good condition. I have heard a steel 72 will explode at about 7000. The pressure disk should blow well before that. Anybody that plugs them probably knows what they are doing.

In the greater south Florida area? Feels like at least five people would manage to blow themselves up in the first week!
You say that like it's a bad thing...

I own five tanks (2x 12L, 2x 15L, and one 3L pony), meaning I can dive multiple days per week (couple of night dives after work during the week, and a couple each weekend), then make a single trip to my LDS each Sunday afternoon to have them filled.

It also means if I have friends visiting and/or who want to do a quick last-minute dive, we have multiple tanks available.

The convenience has proved more than worth the small cost, many times over.

Tanks.jpg

Yep I have tanks like my cars have wheels

Back
Top Bottom