Experienced Divers reaction to Newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The posts to this thread have all been excellent....

I would just add one caveat...

Beware the Posers....

Many of us *seasoned* divers have come to regard the Poser as the greatest UW danger facing us:

The poser wants you to admire him (let's face it ... he usually is a him) and he pretends to be very experienced...
And because you are a newbie you are his chief target...
He can kill you if you are not careful....

Stay very far away from him.

Uncle Pug, you hit the nail right on the head! The poser is my biggest gripe in Scuba. I can't dive a cattle boat without him being there. I've seen some pretty close calls from those types and you are correct, it's almost always a him. That is probably the best piece of advice yet, AVOID THE POSER!

Also, for the newbie, take all of the experienced divers stories with a grain of salt unless it involves safety or dive site information. I was fed some pretty tall tales before I caught on that I was being BS'ed. :)

New divers that bag a dive because they are not comfortable get a lot more respect from me than those that go over there head.

Scott

Everyone, THANKS.

Out of all the comments, post for my question I think I would just like one wish, that all of you were on that boat for that first roll, or step off, which ever we decide come July.

To be able to dive with a group like you would be a true honor and great experience. I do hope that the trips you take this year some "newbies" like myself are on board and that they appreciate your company and advice like I have during these posts.

And like someone earlier said, everyone should be a "somewhat newbie" do to the fact that everyone might appreciate the experience more and continue to learn, not just about diving, but about each other on our travels.

So my friends, July 1st 2002 la Carnival in St.John, it seems a long way away but I hope to see you all there. Infact, Ill buy the first beer.

But first, we will go through our OWC in two weeks and I know I will have some other questions for you first and look forward to your great advice.

Thanks again,

Waterdogs,

Originally posted by waterdogs
...I would just like one wish, that all of you were on that boat for that first roll, or step off, which ever we decide come July.
Pardon me for a sec while I slip on my moderator's cap....

Speaking as one of the gnomes that is helping LadyDiver make Neptune Divers International a reality, one of our plans is to have a few "regional" club dives where divers from this board who are in that region can come meet the people that they have been corresponding with.

As examples, the Texans (aka the NDI Texas Swamp Diving Team) have already done one dive this past October and we are planning some for this year. And I hope to get some "national" dives worked up in places such as San Diego, Panama City, Midwest, and Great Lakes.

So WD, we will be able to grant your wish soon enough as we get NDI rolling.

And if any of you out there wish to help LD, Iguana Don, myself, and the others with the various bits of NDI that need doing, send one of us a message.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread....(takes off Mod cap and tosses it back on shelf. Repositions propeller beanie in its place.)

Waterdogs,
You got some great advice here! Cupla more things.

-You're not officially bungied to the boat until you're strapped in and try to stand up. Then we will laugh with and at you. I still do this once in a while.

-Gear isn't missing until you hit the water. See official Bonehead Diver Rule Book.

-Swim NEXT to me, not behind, under or above. Unless of course you like getting kicked in the face by a 240 lb. dive buddy.

-For many newbies, following a descent with an ascent, and not running out of air or violating the tables in between is the most they will accomplish on their first dives. You do that just a couple of times and you'll feel really good and comfortable so you can slow down and enjoy the sights. Watch those gauges.

-Doc's rules 1 - 10.

-Did somebody mention neutral bouyancy?

Neil

hear, hear TexasMike!

I also hope to be a "career newbie". I only have 30 dives (not counting pool time) under my weight belt & I learn something new on every dive...even if it's only how the head works, it's something.
Waterdogs, don't worry about "looking" like a newbie. EVERY experienced diver I've met has been WONDERFUL about me asking questions, etc. I think you'll find that most divers...except the ones with EGOS...are more than willing to help you if you need it. we're also willing to share our experiences...mistakes included.
the most important thing about the dives you make is that you enjoy them! & you will.

Kim

BTW...

Waterdogs,
I'm sure if your checkbook is big enough, you wish can come true. I don't know about anyone else, but I COULD be cooerced into being on that dive boat with you.....

Big enough checkbook, well my future wife thinks so with all the extra's we seem to be getting for our upcoming wedding. I think I just bought a flower shop last week, and a church.

But I like the idea about a "forum dive trip" where folks on this post can try and actually meet during some of our travels down the road. Either domestic or international. Has that been done before?

Have another question where I could use some advice? We complete our OWC in March but don't travel for our honeymoon until July. Don't want to lose any time in between without either being in pool or brushing up on skills, what do some folks due out there to keep in "practice", is it just pool time? Rent a tank and go to the pool i guess huh? When we arrive in St.John I believe we will take a resort course or refresher just in case before we hit the first boat dive, is that a good idea?

thanks,

waterdogs.

Waterdogs, you have gotten some great advise here. Another thing to consider is before you go on that "dive trip of a lifetime" or dive off shore NC (I am in Raleigh), spend some time doing some easy, fun, close to home diving. It gives you the chance to practice in a non hurried manner the skills you learned in class. Nothing makes you a better diver than time underwater and day runs to close by diving is an easy way to get some UW time. The quarries around here are not that great to see things in but they do provide a good place to practice on a regular basis. After the weather warms a bit, you might want to try Bluestone Quarry. It's only about 5 miles east of the I85/US HW-64 junction or about 2 hrs north of you. Lake Rawlins is another great place not too far from you, about 30 miles north of the NC/VA border on I-85, guess it's about 4 hrs from you. Look around , it's a good chance I might be there as well.

Thanks Herman,

the problem i have is that the future wife is a little hesitant as it is, that's why i decided to do our OWC here with private lessons and our Cert down in Fla at the springs (great vis). I don't think with the limited vis she is going to be real excited about the quarry idea.

I have thought about scheduling some more pool time between our OWC and our honeymoon. I think she would be comfortable with that.

thanks,

see you around sometime NC local

waterdogs'.

eddie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom