Experienced Divers reaction to Newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Question for the experienced diver out there. Our first dive will be in July, after OCW in March, my question is: How do we act so we don't ruin a dive experience for the old timers.

I may not have said that right but I've read some things on here about "newbies" and experienced divers reactions on the boat and during dives. WE ARE NEW, we can't help it and I know the experienced divers out there have all gone through the same thing at one time or another, but we don't want to be too green where the old timers look at us and say, "stay away from these folks". We are hoping to learn from the oldtimers, not be shunned by them.

Any advice, do we stay quite and just let dive master know or do we hang a big sign or yellow strip on our suites and stipulate "any comments would be appreciated".

I've read where the old timers feel that if a newbies on board they feel compelled to look after them a little and it sometimes ruins there dive.

As a select group "divers in general" it is comforting to knew that the experienced divers do atleast pay attention to us, but as newbies we don't want to ruin their dive either, we just want to learn from them.

waterdogs'

That was toooooo funny... Actually if are even cognizant of the older divers on the boat you are probably going to do fine. Here is a short list of dos and don'ts...

1) Act/Be interested... Most of us appreciate the "wide eyes" of a newbie. Yeah, we think it's cute. It might even cause one of us to help you out a bit. Listen intently to all instructions.

2) Ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't always preface it with "I'm a newbie" statements.

3) Never correct ANYONE with "That's not how I was taught"... There are many, many ways to dive in the ocean. If you see a dangly, please point it out. If you can help with the forgotten bungee over the tank valve, that is cool too.

4) Laugh with them at your mistakes, but stay away from "I'm just a newbie" statements as well.

5) Learn to not invade personal space... even at 80 FSW. They are diving to enjoy what is down there, be respectful of that and give them room to dive in their own way. If they motion you over to look at something cool, fine, but don't become a remora. Thank them on the surface... (we all love that).

6) Practice neutral buoyancy, practice neutral buoyancy, practice neutral buoyancy, practice neutral buoyancy, and when you have that down then practice neutral buoyancy some more.

Couple of suggestions.

1. WATCH. I learned a ton just watching others. It made me one of the last ones in, but I discovered a lot of do's and don'ts watching the other folks. (which forced me to slow down and I was, consequently, more relaxed when I hit the water.)

2. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions, if you're unsure about something. I've never seen anyone who asked for help/suggestions get ripped for it. Like you said, we've all been there and most all of us remember that time.

3. Try and gear up in as small an area as possible (without going to extremes, of course). We're all on a small boat trying to load on a ton of gear without maiming each other. Nothing is more annoying than having someone who's taking up enough room for three people. ( A friend of mine had an instructor that told them to place a standard bath towel on the floor and gear up without going off the towel. A little extreme, but not much. My friend is very space conscious because of it.)

4. Work on bouyancy control. If you go somewhere that offers a bouyancy clinic, take it. They're usually free and well worth it. (Voice of experience.)

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Let the dive master know you are a new diver.

As both Net and lakes said... ask questions.

Have lots and lots of fun. Talk about what you saw, ask questions about what you saw but most of all have fun.

Tom

Thanks, I'll take the sign and stripe off my suit. Appreciate the advice, we are two which listen and learn, we do ask some questions,but not to the extreme. We just didn't want to ruin it for the old timers, we have a lot of respect for them, and im sure they have some for the newbies too.

thanks, waterdogs.

with my illustrious board members who have posted before me.

Personally, I have no problems diving with a newbie, simply because I was there once myself. I had an experienced dive buddy right after my certification so it made life a little easier. I never had a problem with "old salts" biting my head off.

Another piece of advice I will throw out there is BE CONFIDENT in yourself. you went thru the training and displayed the necessary skills now practice, practice, practice.

Stay wet, stay safe, and if you are ever going to be in my area drop me a line, I will dive with you.

Thanks again,

Im a waterdog born and raised in miami and lived in the bay so i have a little experience, but my future wife is a complete Newbie, so Im just taking notes to assists us both.

We will take all advice, practice bouyancy, practice, practice, practice. thanks again.

waterdogs'

Even old-timers like diving with people who have fun. So coming out of the water with a big grin is always appreciated.

- and don't do the bluff thing on your experience, let your buddy know how much experience/training you have. That way the dive profile will be safe

- don't do any dive where you feel uncomfortable.....

Of course if you're up this way, c'mon over and dive with me (I'm a newbie diver but learning every day)

The most important thing for a new diver to bring along is their sense of humor. Especially if you haven't been raised around the sea and boats, try to remember that there are myriad things over which the crew has absolutely no control - like weather, waves, currents, visibility, water temperature and sea creatures. Those things just "are" - accept them with good humor. Never whine or complain.
Plan, plan, plan. Talk over what you expect to do on the dive with your buddy. Set a max depth, a turn time and pressure, talk about air sharing, who's leading, lost buddy etc on every dive. The more you can agree on a mutual plan, the more you can visualize the basic conduct of the dive before you ever get in the water, the less stress you'll have overall and the more you'll be able to enjoy the dive.
Try not to touch or stir up the bottom. While neutral buoyancy is best, if you must err, get a tiny bit positive, which will help keep your fins high [you'll be a little head down, kicking a little to stay down].
See others' comments above.
For your enjoyment, make your focus fit the conditions - for example, if the visibility is three feet, it isn't the time to go looking for big pelagics! Get close and study the little guys - they are at least as fascinating as the big guys and often a lot more entertaining. Remember, every dive is a *great* dive.
Don't be shy about asking questions. Most of us old farts are passionate about the sport and positively *love* to share information - about gear, about procedures, about critters... there *is* a danger that you'll get a lecture on how to build a watch if you ask what time it is...
Have fun...
Rick

That's what we can bring, our sense of humor. Because some of the traditional 'newbie' things we will do will probably be darn funny. And we are the type where we can laugh at ourselves, we are not that uptight and will enjoy all experiences.

And maybe, just maybe some of the funny things we do initially and the funny things we ask, may make the old guy's remember back to the time when they and their wives took the first plunge and it may bring a smile to their face as well.

Planning, that's why i think this will be great, what better planning partner (buddy) to have than my future, let's say WIFE. Although we sometimes don't see eye to eye, we are on the same page and level where we will listen, plan and take the good and bad from the experience and apply it to our next dive.

thanks again,

waterdogs.

Back
Top Bottom