Experience Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Mike,
Steel tanks last forever. You are in the right location to be looking for some used steels. I have seen them 150-200 dollar range, when people are offloading doubles or get to old to lift them, or move to rebreather. Keep your eyes open, you will find a set.
Eric

Outer Banks Diving in Hatteras, NC has 100's of Nitrox for rent. They have been in buisness 15 years, and do have dive guides for hire. I saw more fish at Hatteras than at all the Caribbean sites I've been in combined. (Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, BVI). You won't be disappointed. My avatar is from Hatteras.

NJMike:
Isn't the HP 120 five or six lbs heavier than the AL 80 and the -100? But I guess you could offload weights, which would then even it out.

Which then makes the big difference to be cost.

Actually Mike, if you go with an x-series (3442 psi) 120, the weight you could take off would be around 8+ lbs. This is because the 100 steel and 120 steel end the dive negatively bouyant. An aluminum 80 ends a dive 4 pounds positive. The low pressure tanks are even heavier, but, that means more weight while trying to get on a ladder.
Also, as for used, check the hydro on the low pressures- some people overfill them, and you might only get one more hydro on them-supposedly. Northeast Scuba in PA has a screaming deal on 120s right now- right in the $270 range new. As for size, if you are over about 5'8", a 120 is managable, and my girlfriend uses one at 5'4". I hope this gives you some information to base a decision on.
-Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom