Experience Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, roughly speaking, 26 min using a mix vs 16 using air. I undestand that may not be exact but I was only looking for a rough number, so that works for me....and 26 min of bottom time on one of the U-boats would be a lot better than 16! Thanks.

NJMike:
So, roughly speaking, 26 min using a mix vs 16 using air. I undestand that may not be exact but I was only looking for a rough number, so that works for me....and 26 min of bottom time on one of the U-boats would be a lot better than 16! Thanks.

Roughly, and it is all about bottom time. It is a lot of work and $$ to get there, so an extra 15-20 minutes on the bottom is worth it.

Just remember, if you use anywhere near the volume of gas (I am a big man) as I do, an 80 is not going to give you enough gas for 26 minutes at 115', unless you skip the stop, and then maybe not. At least plan on diving a 100 cf tank of EANx30.

Yes definitely go with Nitrox. You'll see the benefit on the second dive. Plan on buying, renting, or borrowing some larger tanks so you can take advantage of that extra bottom time.

AL

I've been thinking that I will buy a HP 100 before Dutch Springs opens in April...but I could always rent a -119 for one of the sub dives, I guess. Over the winter, I'll get more acquainted with all this Nitrox stuff!

I couldn't find a 119, 120, or 130 available for rent. Large rental tanks are typically 95's or 100's. Buy the 119 and rent the 100.

AL

Hey NJ Mike,
If wreck diving is going to be your passion, save your money and only buy hp120 the wreckers standard for mid atlantic. Add nitrox the mad amount of gas and you buy 60 minutes of bottom time on the Blenny at eanx36 ndl. If you make the Blenny unless the vis is great try to dive the African Queen also, upside down bow section short ride further out.
Eric

I saw the African Queen listed also. My guess is that it would be the other dive of a two dive charter, given the proximity.

I'm not planning on becoming a deep wreck diver....so I'm not looking to get equipment that will meet those standards. But I can see doing the NC dives, but I don't want to increase the weight of the equipment...hence the HP 100.

Hmmm....waterpirate, are you saying a SINGLE HP 120 with EANx36 would provide 60 mins of bottom time at 70'?

NJMike,
eanx 36 is commonly used to a mod of 80fsw and your ndl time is 60 minutes. At 70fsw it would be slightly more. I commonly hunt the African queen, and last august put up a 78 minute dive on eanx 21, diving a saw tooth profile from 30 which is the top of the wreck down to about 60fsw where she opens up. It is all about your sac rate and profile. The hp 120 will help extend your time with gas available, and sac rate comes with experience. The hp 120 is heavy, but subtract that from your al80 wieght belt and its all same same.
Eric

Isn't the HP 120 five or six lbs heavier than the AL 80 and the -100? But I guess you could offload weights, which would then even it out.

Which then makes the big difference to be cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom