Experience Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisajade

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good Morning all! Realistically what kind of experience level should a diver have before tackling the NC wrecks. I am thinking I will probably be ready next year assuming I get atleast 25 dives done this year. Currently I have 26 dives, AOW cert, does next year sound about right. I have only dove quarries and warm water ocean dives, no cold, strong current ocean diving.

I did my AOW on the U352 last summer after about 60 dives to 60-70 feet, and I have to admit, that although I was fine once I got to the bottom (115 fsw), I was anxious at first. My 2nd dive was great, although I dove air, it was a very short 12 minutes. I would suggest nitrox training to maximise your experience on the bottom.

My bigger concern than the being comfortable in the water and on the bottom is your comfort level on the boat, and getting in and out of the water. 90% of my dives are from small boats in the ocean, and being on a large dive boat had a whole new set of challenges. But I have been boating all my life, so being in on the ocean on a boat was something I was already comfortable with.

See the thread in basic scuba discussions about the transition from quarries to mid-atlantic ocean diving.

Couple of tips for you:

- I would definitely go for Nitrox Cert prior, and have experience with Nitrox dives/tables/computer operation under your belt. Typical dives will use a 30% mix at 1.4 PP02.
- You should be comfortable with dives to 120 feet.
- For dives over about 60 feet, I carry a Pony (bailout) bottle. This is a slung 30cf redundant air source with separate Regulator.
- You should consider carrying a surface marker buoy (or lift bag) in case you are blown off the mooring line and need to ascend away from the boat.
- Find a buddy that can mentor you during the dives.
- Finally - be prepared for the boat ride. Most sites are 30 - 40 miles offshore, and you will have a couple hour ride to the better offshore sites (like the U-352). Take your i-Pod and some good tunes and enjoy the ride.

That said, NC Wreck diving is some of the best diving in the world!

Dive Safe.

I've only dived out there once. I'd say that it depends on the wreck and the day. There are some that are fairly shallow and on a calm day make for a pretty easy dive...then you have the others.

I would recommend trying the Hyde and Markham trip as a starter. Aquatic Safaris , http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/ , has a nicely priced trip. Both wrecks are 50 to 80 fsw and are great "starter" dives with a short ride out (18 miles out, little over an hour ride). The vis is good, most of the time, and during the ladder part of the year, there will be lots of Sand tiger Sharks swimming around.. No need for AOW or pony bottles on these dives. I would take some basic safety equipment though

From there you can build up to some of the other dives.

Bob_B makes a great suggestion. There are a few wrecks that are 'in between' and can help you decide if you're ready to take the next step. The Hyde and Markham are great out of Wilmington, and the Indra is good out of Morehead/Beaufort.

An experienced buddy can really help too. Don't hesitate to hire a private DM/guide/instructor for the first day if you think it would help make you more comfortable. It's less expensive than you might think and they will show you things you would have overlooked.

Rich

Thanks for all the great suggestions, my LDS is going out for a couple of trips this summer/fall and I think I may use that as an excuse to get my wreck specialty and then go on the trip as "graduation".

Lisa, I'm with you! I still need the AOW, which I'm planning on next year. And I'm lucky because I have the USS Blenny, which is in 70' of water off the MD coast.

I'm planning on getting the AOW next year, followed immediately by the PADI wreck intro, and hope there's still time left to dive the Blenny.

My first thought was to go to doubles for the NC wrecks...but after the comments above, maybe nitrox training is a better way to go...?

Comments, anyone?

You see people all the time with doubles, but the vast majority of divers on charters are in single tank rigs. You seldom see anyone on something other than their first trip who isn't using Nitrox.

Go nitrox first.

Rich

Also consider renting larger tanks like 100 instead of 80's. They are a little harder to find but worth it for our wrecks (or air hogs :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom