Expats' dummies own most of dive site's properties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am well aware about business laws, that why I decided NOT to run one here in the PI (had several offers)

the 60/40 law would just push me into using dummies for the signatures AND is the perfect set up to rip the foreigner off when it comes to "crunch-time"...

of course the investment has to be done first by the 40% owner-party.

There are many ways to get the tax-cheaters...

... throwing 150 plus cash-bringing tourists out of their room is insane, ridiculous and for sure is none of them.

That should go into the Guinness book as " the most stupid way to treat visitors of your country".

that is exactly the Philippine hospitality which makes those 150 plus visitors to promote the Philippines until the end of their days.

I wonder how far officials would go to p!@$ off tourists and investors.... nah, there is no ending when it comes to showing off and having the face in the newspaper...to show some "power"

Last edited:
Nasredin Hodja, the famous Turkish philosopher wrote;

One day, Hodja sat in a tree and was cutting a branch that he was sitting on. A stranger was walking there and saw what Hodja was doing.

'Hey, excuse me Hodja!' said the stranger, 'if you keep on cutting that branch, then you are going to fall down from the tree'.

Hodja didn't care of the stranger and continued on cutting the branch. Then the branch suddenly broke and Hodja fell from the tree.

'Help!' Hodja shouted to his neighbours, 'I must catch that stranger who knew my fall, I'm sure he knows when I'm going to die, too'.

huh?....
<scratching my head>

Context;

One day, the Mayor of Dauin sat in a tree (high place and good vantage) and was cutting a branch that he was sitting on (means of income). Dive business owners were watching and and saw what he was doing.

'Hey, excuse me Mr Mayor!' said the tourism business owners, 'if you keep on cutting that branch (source of income), then you are going to fall down from the tree and loose us/future investors'.

The Mayor didn't care of the tourism businesses and continued on cutting the branch. Then the branch suddenly broke and the Mayor fell from the tree.

'Help!' the Mayor shouted to his electorate, 'I must catch the tourism operators who knew my fall, I'm sure they know of my furture downfall, too' (showing regret with hindsight).

Some dive operations accept on-line payments via Paypal etc that goes straight into off-shore accounts no doubt, and does not have to appear on the local books. And lots of cash payments are not receipted, or dummy receipted so thats also off the books.

Mind you its not the foreigners who do only do this: I encountered it when I had to fork out P30k for a cesarean (for an extended family member), the doctor wanted cash: I insisted on paying the fees office and getting a receipt, that miffed him and I have seen it elsewhere where dodgy receipts are issued or tall stories as to why no receipts are given. Then there is kick-backs, and corruption, 'pork-barels' etc etc papers are full of them - its seems a nation pandemic, guess a legacy of the Marcos regime.

There is another thing bugging me: I think of Malapascua and all the $ coming in there, some guy paid his bill of about $2000 US via paypal when I was sitting there in the office of TSD: and this is all alongside poverty and people subsisting by prying any and every living organism out of the sea, besides job for locals, the local communities should benefit more directly from all the visitors: it terms of facilities, upliftment, education etc. Anyone knows if this is happening at all on the Phils? Its happening elsewhere in the world.

Take it easy on the Philippines bashing. Be careful about slamming other countries.....we have had a lot of things in the Philippines....but....WE NEVER HAD APARTHEID!

Take it easy on the Philippines bashing. Be careful about slamming other countries.....we have had a lot of things in the Philippines....but....WE NEVER HAD APARTHEID!

I don't see that he was "bashing" the Philippines. It's merely discussing what goes on.
The same thing goes on here in Belize. And for the same reasons. Protectionist economies are a failed model and only create bloated, inefficient local businesses that keep the poor even poorer. There is little influx of capital (due to the legal structure...hurdles is more accurate term... of doing business), which is sorely needed to create more jobs and strengthen the economy. Thus, another "sub economy", non taxable, exists with yayas, house servants, drivers, sari sari stores etc, which costs the government even more in lost revenue.
And the saddest part is that Filipinos are the most sought after workers around the world but, many have to leave home to make a good living.
It's a great place if you have money, but damn hard to get ahead if you don't.

Has anyone seen/was aware of this?

See http://www.pna.gov.ph/index.php?&sid=6

28 August 2009
DUMAGUETE CITY -- Mayor Rodrigo Alanano has denied all applications for any type of mining activities in Dauin, Negros Oriental.
A Manila-based company identified as Daytona Mining and Development Corporation submitted its mining application to the office of the mayor Thursday.
According to the representative of the said company, they are applying for magnetite sand mining along the shorelines of the municipalities of Bacong, Dauin, Zamboanguita and Santa Catalina in southern Negros Oriental.
Mayor Alanano explained magnetite sand is a magnetic metal found in the shorelines but it is only present in some areas in the province.
Magnetite sand is used for steel manufacturing in other countries. He said it is expected that the market value of magnetite sand is very high especially with the present development of advanced technology.
Mayor Alanano, a licensed mining engineer by profession, clarified that there is no such thing as responsible mining because all kinds of mining will somehow destroy the environment.
Besides, allowing mining in his town will contradict with the local government's environmental conservation campaign, he added.
The mayor said he will never be attracted to huge revenues from mining in exchange for the destruction of the environment.
Last year, the Provincial Mining and Regulatory Board (PMRB) of Negros Oriental denied all applications for magnetite mining along the shorelines of Vallehermoso to Basay, Negros Oriental.
PMRB chairman and provincial legal counsel Erwin Vergara consulted with environmental experts of the Silliman University Marine Laboratory for opinion on the effects of magnetite mining...
Dr. Janet Estacion explained the sand serves as buffer zone of the shoreline to break the current of strong waves.
Dr. Hiconida Calumpong, meanwhile, said the extraction of sand will result in erosion and endanger properties along the beach.
One concrete example is the port reclamation project of the Philippine Ports Authority which she said has resulted in the damage of the seawall along Piapi and the beach area of Silliman University Marine Laboratory. (PNA)

You are free to discuss what you like......but.....
I have to believe that dive operators in the Philippines have good intentions. The people that own businesses are trying to make a living. The business of diving is a "business". From my experience, the operators I know, realize that what they do is dependant upon the local folks and their cooperation. Anything said about foreign money that gets pumped into the local economy must always be caveated with "the cooperation of local authorities". The rules and regulations governing the trade are very clear and pretty darn good. The whole business of corruption is a subject left to voters and the people in power to correct. The Philippines has come a long way from the Marcos days <some could argue that things are worse I am sure>. Every society will have its bad apples. I do know that if I try to make my part of the world a better place I can sleep at night and not worry about feeling guilty about doing something wrong to someone. I am not clear what you are trying solve or what question you want answered with your post. My comments about apartheid were made merely to highlight the fact that the world has its issues. The local people are the only ones to correct the problems (if they even percieve it as a problem). Maybe, just maybe, some folks like things the way they are. It is not for us Kanos to determine the fate of others <boy, that is going to draw some comments>. One thing I have learned is that the subject of graft and corruption is not a topic for this forum. Let's go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom