Expanding ScubaBoard to social media

Which social media channels do you actively use (diving related) ?

• Facebook

Votes: 74 47.4%
  • Instagram

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • TikTok

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Twitter

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Pinterest

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Youtube

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • ScubaBoard only!

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are trying to make SB easier and more fun in regard to being able to create content and then share it to other platforms.
If “making it easier” means there’s a checkbox that says “share to facebook” or wherever and it’s someones choice, that’s one thing. Doing it for someone (whatever the TOS might say) is a very different thing.

If scubaboard moves, I will not follow. Leave it alone. It’s a gem.

I've been following this thread a bit, and I see a concern that isn't a practical threat to the forum.

Scuba Board as it exists and functions cannot realistically transition to a Facebook-based model, and I doubt any of the other listed entities could serve, either. Our discussion threads in a readily browsable and searchable format wouldn't exist there. Facebook is more 'chatty,' and given Twitter's historic character limit, I would think it would be, too?

The social media platforms listed are not a disruptive threat to the SB forum because this forum format is greatly superior in functionally serving the needs of this community. They become a threat when they offer a better way to do things...and they are nowhere close to that.

I think the basic idea is SB would have some content, or notification of with links to content, on social media to serve like advertising and draw traffic here, not move this community there.

While Facebook seems to be a lot of people's favorite dog to kick lately, much of the world is on it, and a presence there may get the SB word out to some people.

I get that some people actively dislike some social media platforms. I only know of Twitter what little I read of it, which makes it sound like a cancel cultural loving liberal wonderland that makes my conservative skin crawl. I wouldn't want to need a Twitter account to participate on SB anymore than some of you'd want a Facebook account...but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

It takes quite a bit of literary talent to write something worth reading in 26 characters or fewer. From that perspective, there aren't that many people worth following on twitter. Of course there's people who follow Will Smith's children (or so I am told), but you may want to ask yourself it they are the target audience you want to attract.

Other than that, it makes a convenient platform for site news/announcements, but that's a matter of ROI: somebody has to pick things worth announcing, and twit them. Whether the resulting traffic from twitter ends up being worth the effort, remains to be seen -- but you won't know until you run with it long enough to build some following. Or not.

I've been following this thread a bit, and I see a concern that isn't a practical threat to the forum.

Scuba Board as it exists and functions cannot realistically transition to a Facebook-based model, and I doubt any of the other listed entities could serve, either. Our discussion threads in a readily browsable and searchable format wouldn't exist there. Facebook is more 'chatty,' and given Twitter's historic character limit, I would think it would be, too?

The social media platforms listed are not a disruptive threat to the SB forum because this forum format is greatly superior in functionally serving the needs of this community. They become a threat when they offer a better way to do things...and they are nowhere close to that.

I think the basic idea is SB would have some content, or notification of with links to content, on social media to serve like advertising and draw traffic here, not move this community there.

While Facebook seems to be a lot of people's favorite dog to kick lately, much of the world is on it, and a presence there may get the SB word out to some people.

I get that some people actively dislike some social media platforms. I only know of Twitter what little I read of it, which makes it sound like a cancel cultural loving liberal wonderland that makes my conservative skin crawl. I wouldn't want to need a Twitter account to participate on SB anymore than some of you'd want a Facebook account...but it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Reddit is very similar to forums but the search and history isn’t as good.

If you browse r/scuba you’ll see that the same questions are asked everyday as a result

Reddit is very similar to forums but the search and history isn’t as good.
I may be missing some things at a cursory glance, but it looks like it functions as one huge forum section, without ScubaBoard's myriad sub-forums. If so, I prefer the SB model for its organization.

Granted, I usually browse SB by clicking New Posts, which gives me everything in one section, but when I want to research a topic, sometimes I like to narrow down my focus. Yes, hunting down a bunch of threads on St. Lucia by Search would probably work better than pouring through pages under Lesser Antilles, but finding a bunch of threads on Curacao would work better in the forum dedicated to it.

Similarly, I see the site you linked doesn't allow posts about selling scuba gear. On SB it's allowed, but confined to a specific region of the forum. If everything's in one huge section, you lose the option to cordon things off. Kind of like how on SB there's the Pub, and some of the sections more likely to be frequented by newer folks are stricter 'be nice' criteria (Learning Zone, I think?).

This has nothing to do with moving anywhere.
Good. If anything on scubaboard is put on Facebook or Twitter, I would never see it or interact with it. On the other hand, a Scubaboard Instagram presence with regular random pics/vids of people doing awesome things would be good.

Looks like faecesbook. All gurning pictures and auto-load videos to track you.
I am amused at your spelling of Facebook and I like it!:rofl3: Is this a purposeful misspelling to subversively refer to them as feces?

Good. If anything on scubaboard is put on Facebook or Twitter, I would never see it or interact with it. On the other hand, a Scubaboard Instagram presence with regular random pics/vids of people doing awesome things would be good.
The :instagram: part is already happening....

Back
Top Bottom