Exosuit...anyone seen this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm - maybe I missed something, but why do you need a bottom mix with a 1 atm suit? At 1 atm, all you need is an O2 rebreather.

Makes me wonder how much thought has gone into this...

Se7en

I'm not sure about the gas reference but I am sure the product is for real.

Phil has a long track record building ADS. He developed the Newtsuit described here but it is not mentioned on his site due, as I understand it, to commercial issues (it is now owned by others).

The joint method is characteristic. I've been inside one of these things - it is horrible - I'm going to stick to robotics.

Send them an email asking for clarification. I am sure you will get a response.

My guess is this is going to be priced way out of the non-commercial diver's range.

There is a lot of background info at this page.

Its a great idea , it suppuse to be like a submarine.
U get the air in 1 atm all the time therefoere u dont get any deco problems. Its like beeing in the submarine.

unless i didnt understood the idea:) :)

My only concern would be the failure of a joint. This being a swimming hard suit, joint flexibility would be very important. A joint failure would mean no propulsion, no propulsion could mean being trapped. I would be interested to see the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) test results before I got into one of the suits.

Still, it looks very promising.

tyrell once bubbled...
Its a great idea , it suppuse to be like a submarine.
U get the air in 1 atm all the time therefoere u dont get any deco problems. Its like beeing in the submarine.

unless i didnt understood the idea:) :)

Actually, you wont have 1 atm all the time according to this excerpt:

"We're looking at a suit that will tolerate internal pressure as well as external pressure. The Exosuit, like the exoskeleton of a crab, is designed to protect the wearer from pressure and hold internal pressure.

When a submarine hits bottom and loses power, it takes on the pressure surrounding it. So do the people inside. "If you attempt to take them directly from the sea floor to the surface, the result would be instantaneous death by massive bends."

"A submarine escape suit would have to be able to withstand the full outside pressure but also hold the pressure that you are at inside, and bring it to the surface with you where you can then slowly decant the pressure and decompress," Nuytten said.

The unit is CAPABLE of keeping internal - negative - pressure (so that it does not automatically decompress submariners being rescued) but it will be a full pressure seal in that, if you enter it at one ATM there you will stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom