Exhausted on choppy surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lookchart67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Fellow divers . I exited the boat to a choppy sea surface with strong surface currents and unable to swim to the descending bouy line . I was totally exhausted .Should i in the 1st instant decended and swim to the bouy line ?

Was the boat moored to the buoy, or were they running a live boat and dropping divers up current of the buoy? In the former case the boat crew are supposed to tie a trailing current line into the descent line so that divers can grab onto that and pull themselves forward.

In choppy surface conditions it can sometimes be easier to descend at the stern of the boat and swim underwater to the descent line at the bow. Just be careful to get deep enough so you don't smack your head on the hull or props. And if you're straining to make forward progress then don't exhaust yourself and blow through all your gas just swimming to the line; come back to the stern and ask for help or abort the dive.

If you can get a DPV and associated training then that makes diving in strong currents a lot more fun and easy. But that isn't always a practical option.

how-to-dive-wreck_sg_dive-boat_art2media.jpg

tag line (A) and granny line (B)

there are a number of ways to rig the granny line. It could go directly from the stern to the mooring/anchor line without a weight. A hang bar is also an optional addition.

Was the boat moored to the buoy, or were they running a live boat and dropping divers up current of the buoy? In the former case the boat crew are supposed to tie a trailing current line into the descent line so that divers can grab onto that and pull themselves forward.

In choppy surface conditions it can sometimes be easier to descend at the stern of the boat and swim underwater to the descent line at the bow. Just be careful to get deep enough so you don't smack your head on the hull or props. And if you're straining to make forward progress then don't exhaust yourself and blow through all your gas just swimming to the line; come back to the stern and ask for help or abort the dive.

If you can get a DPV and associated training then that makes diving in strong currents a lot more fun and easy. But that isn't always a practical option.

It was not moored to the bouy line .The rest of the divers back roll facing tje bouy line at the ster

It was not moored to the bouy line .The rest of the divers back roll facing tje bouy line at the ster
I don't understand what you are describing. Could you draw us a diagram? Was the boat anchored or tied in to anything at the bow or stern, or just drifting free? If the other divers back rolled off the stern then how could they be facing the line?

No it was not moored to the bouy.i guess i back roll to far from the descending line .True sucking to much air till hyperventilating. Follow by muscles exhaustion. Definitely an extra moored line float with the current will surely help .i can actually then put myself to the bouy descending line.
The DM should have tied a floating line for us to grab on away from the descending line .saved us from exhaustion back finning to the descending line.

Attachments

• 87e99a31-2ce0-4399-97d5-977a21ae48f6.png.jpg
    87e99a31-2ce0-4399-97d5-977a21ae48f6.png.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20230626-224036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626-224036_Chrome.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 115
The DM should have tied a floating line for us to grab on away from the descending line .saved us from exhaustion back finning to the descending line.
Yes, the diagram posted by @OTF above is how the boat should be moored and lines should be rigged when doing a no-deco recreational dive on a small site in a moderate current (it doesn't apply to drift diving or tech diving or extremely strong currents). If you don't see something close to that then ask the crew to rectify the situation — or find a different boat.

If you're getting exhausted and not making forward progress then don't hesitate to shout for the boat crew to throw you a line and haul you back to the stern. Then you can reset and try again, or abort the dive.

I don't understand what you are describing. Could you draw us a diagram? Was the boat anchored or tied in to anything at the bow or stern, or just drifting free? If the other divers back rolled off the stern then how could they be facing the line?
Ok.let me rephrased...sorry for the confusion.

Nick_Ravdov: I was told to back roll at the stern up current
I wish they dropped me up current so i can swim and drift to the descending line on the surface .i made several wrong choices:

(A) back roll down current not forgetting my 65+ body no longer as strong as before..

(B) Sucking and blowing air too quickly due to exhaustion fining hard back ward towards the descent line .

(C) Did not inflate correctly to remain on surface

(D) A sign of desperation whether to remain fining on surface or to descent. Thus pressing all the wrong button on the BC .

(E) near panicking and to grasp for air .. requlator was removed mask off causes more problems on the surface..choking with sea water the least to mentioned( a case of classic panic diver..im a way i am glad to had experience it 1st hand myself )

Fortunately the DM realised what was happening .And safely as instructed we descend but below between 0-30' down current still there..after 5+ min or so i decided to abort at around 30' + and ascended .

I was already at least 100' + from the boat by then reaching the surface . .Tks the almighty all is well .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom