Exhaust in my hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have same hood and get air in sometimes, due to bad habit of breathing out of my nose (trying to stop this though). Just push down the hood on your head again and air in the hood no longer a problem. But for me this only happens when i breath out of my nose as said, not from reg exhaust.

Maybe same for you?
I was breathing out of my nose some at this time, but didn't make the connection. I'll have to pay more attention on my next dive to see if that is the cause, not the regulator exhaust. Thank you for the input.

Just remember that warm air is warmer than water as long as water doesn't reenter your hood.
Personally I do this on purpose (ie blow air into the hood) on my coldest dives. It keeps my head warmer. Not a problem at all :D

Unless your hood is so ill-fitting that there are gaps in it along your face seal, it is highly likely that post #10 by @SecT has explained the cause of your issue.

Eric has a Waterproof hooded vest and has a similar problem. He thinks it happens when he clears his mask, which he has had to do a lot of on recent dive trips. The hood is made with a "hood venting system" which has two exterior mesh vents but only a small circular area of tiny vent holes in the interior neoprene. It vents well enough at depth but there is still a lag and significant accumulation of air under the hood when he ascends. He plans on burning several additional holes through the interior section of neoprene to see if this helps speed the process.

I have same issue. I expanded vent hole, but still occasionally get some air in hood. I just smooth the hood down top to bottom early in dive and that seems to help it fit more closely.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the input. I think the plan is to see if it happens again on my next dive, and, if so, am I breathing out through my nose? If I am, there's the answer. If not, it's time to fan the flames and expand some vents. @Imla, I did notice that the air that was coming in was warmer, so maybe I'm making a fuss for no reason :wink:

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom