Excited – and intimidated – for my first non-training dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't wait for my first "for fun" dive - despite the nervousness I wrote about. I'm betting it's a whole different feeling mentally. Just hoping for great conditions and people!

It is a completely different feeling - every step of the dives felt different from gearing up to getting out and packing the gear up (without someone watching). I did my OW and then did 4 dives over 2 days with the LDS I trained with but independently of them (they were there doing courses so myself and three others who were just there for fun dives could go and do our own thing).

Going to get my own gear and then do AOW etc. I want some independent dives under my belt before any more courses.

Joined the conversation late...but, know the feeling. 16 dives, 14 of which with instructor ( open water, adventure dives at the Denver aquarium, ppb in Kona, AOW at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM). I am a fan of disclosure...doesn't hurt. Relax, have fun, be safe, report back.

Tough to be landlocked in CO...just means you have to work a little harder to get dives in. But a great excuse to get away in winter.

Absolutely tell the dive staff. They will likely make sure to buddy you with a more experienced diver and just keep an eye out for you. Someone has already commented the gas supply will more likely determine the length of the dive. If you were a competitive swimmer you will probably have better air consumption than a lot of the other divers anyway. My anecdotal experience has been that people who have been active in sports where they had to "learn how to breath" wind up needing less gas as they are less likely to over breath.

More experienced divers do not appreciate buddies who are not honest about their experience and comfort levels. Many experienced divers will get a kick out of showing you a good time and helping you out if you are honest and let them know you would appreciate it. It is likely to be a win win for everyone, they get to enjoy showing you stuff and seeing it from "fresh eyes again" you get to have a nice safe buddy.

All of that said.. remember the most important skill a diver learns is to say No at the right time. Better to thumb a dive or sit it out and enjoy many future dives than mess yourself up for future dives.

Welcome to the sport, I have a feeling you will have a great time. You are already showing the good sense that makes a good diver IMHO

Last edited:
Absolutely tell the dive staff. They will likely make sure to buddy you with a more experienced diver and just keep an eye out for you. Someone has already commented the gas supply will more likely determine the length of the dive. If you were a competitive swimmer you will probably have better air consumption than a lot of the other divers anyway. My anecdotal experience has been that people who have been active in sports where they had to "learn how to breath" wind up needing less gas as they are less likely to over breath.

More experienced divers do not appreciate buddies who are not honest about their experience and comfort levels. Many experienced divers will get a kick out of showing you a good time and helping you out if you are honest and let them know you would appreciate it. It is likely to be a win win for everyone, they get to enjoy showing you stuff and seeing it from "fresh eyes again" you get to have a nice safe buddy.

All of that said.. remember the most important skill a diver learns is to say No at the right time. Better to thumb a dive or sit it out and enjoy many future dives than mess yourself up for future dives.

Welcome to the sport, I have a feeling you will have a great time. You are already showing the good sene that makes a good diver IMHO

Agreed. Relaxation is a key as well.

Last set of dives I did were 3 in one day. All with similar profiles and all tanks were 230 bar.

Dive 1 - 30 mins on a 12l. Was still a bit uptight as it was only my second dive after completing OW.
Dive 2 - 22 mins on a 12l. Catalogue of issues regarding tanks and valves involving many trips between the beach and the van so by the time I got in the water my heart rate was still high so took a few minutes in the water to calm down.
Dive 3 - 44 mins on a 10l. Was after a nice relaxing lunch and I now felt more confident as a diver having gotten more time UW so was far more relaxed swimming about.

So despite the smaller tank, I managed a longer dive from it than the previous 2 which I put down to being more relaxed.

I agree with the comments about the experienced divers, most of them will go out of their way to help you out - they love diving and love seeing new people get that loving feeling!

JON

First the only emergency underwater is out of air. You are in full control of that by watching your spg. Don't ignore the rest of your fears but move them a bit closer to the back burner. Dive with some one you know with experience. That alone will will relax you. Your dive master WILL know you are new before you get your regulator on the tank. Acept your newness. Normally those in denial are the ones that are dangerous. Set limits for your self and stick with them till you are confident enough through experience to modify them. You will do fine. I know this cause we all were n the same fins you are now,and we are here talking about it.
Enjoy.

Ok, first off. Welcome to diving! Yes its amazing and fun, but of course it can be a bit scary. I am a dive professional and would like to point out that your concerns are always valid, but if you think that your letting someone down or dont think you are up to the task of being a responsible dive buddy ask the shops you attend to on vacation if you can purchase/rent a dive pro as a guide/buddy. You have the training now you just need to put it into practice.
As for your brother I am sorry to say I have seen his type before, you know a moron. I mean that also. As for your comfort level: ALWAYS let your dive leader and your buddy know if you are not feeling up to a dive or any other issues you have as this will lead to you figuring out how to work through the problems and not cause any yourself.
If your brother is telling you to not tell a dive leader you are nervous because he thinks you wont have a good time or they will cut your dive short then he is in fact a MORON. Remember in every course you take you are reminded to dive within YOUR limitations. If you don't tell someone your having a problem then it is indeed YOUR PROBLEM. sharing is caring in this case so talk to your buddy and/or your dive leader/shop well before you go diving. Lots of people only dive once a year and many feel they are up to the challenge...but in fact are not and that puts added stress on their dive buddy as well as their group and dive leader.
Lastly remember your and ADULT so make a decision on whether you feel up to diving that day or week or not, and whether you feel that you should get a refresher course or just hire a private guide for the day to make you feel comfortable with what your doing.
Diving is as safe as most sports and activities....provided that you do it correctly. Remember this is suppose to be a fun activity so enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom