Excited – and intimidated – for my first non-training dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,
I’ve been lurking here for some time, reading, learning and contracting serious cases of “gotta-get-back-in-the-water-itis” and thin-wallet syndrome, a complication of looking at all the cool and necessary scuba gear I suddenly "need." I’ve pretty much got them under control, but I have to admit a little nervousness at the prospect of making my first non-training dives, and this really seems to be a friendly place to talk about stuff like this.

They're coming up soon: My family and I will be in northwestern Costa Rica (Playa Grande area) in December, and I'll be with my wife when she goes to Kauai in April for a business trip. I’m the only diver in the group. I’m a former competitive swimmer and consider myself a pretty good diver. I’ve demonstrated enough capability to have recently earned my Advanced Open Water certification, and I feel comfortable in the water and with using the gear.

My nervousness comes from the fact I’m landlocked in Denver with few chances to dive other than on vacations. All my dive experience comes from two “discover scuba” dives (one in Maui, one in the Dominican Republic) and the various dives I completed to obtain my Open Water and AOW certifications. Two of those were in the Denver Downtown Aquarium and all the others were at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, N.M., an 85-foot-deep, 62-degree Fahrenheit freshwater spring.

I completely understand that while I have these certifications, I’m inexperienced. I’ve felt comfortable and confident in all my training dives, but diving with strangers, at least one of whom will be relying on me as his/her buddy, and without an instructor watching the whole time, is kind of daunting. I don’t want to let anybody down, I don’t want to endanger myself or anybody else, I don’t want to mess up somehow - and I want to have a great time.

My brother, who's been certified for years, suggested I don't share any of this with the divemaster when I get out there in case it leads to less bottom time or independence during a dive. I'm not so sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

We have all been there. You'll be fine. You sound conscientious. It's the new divers who do NOT have your concerns who are more likely to pose a danger to themselves and their buddies.

. . .
My brother, who's been certified for years, suggested I don't share any of this with the divemaster when I get out there in case it leads to less bottom time or independence during a dive. I'm not so sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I disagree with your brother. Let the divemaster know this is your very first dive post-certification. Maximizing your bottom time and independence on your very first dive should not be the major concerns. If you will be diving with the same outfit in Costa Rica for several days in a row, the divemaster will become familiar with your abilities and adjust the dives accordingly. Not to mention that if the divemaster knows you are new, he may go the extra mile to show you interesting things underwater. If you look like a know-it-all the divemaster may very well leave you alone, and you may miss things that he could have pointed out to you. You can always tell the divemaster during the debrief after the dive what you liked and what you didn't. If you feel the divemaster is being too paternalistic--babying you--be frank with the divemaster.

I would say you will be fine - bear in mind your training but most importantly relax! SCUBA is supposed to be fun so enjoy it.

The fact that you have both your OW and AOW means you have done a bit of diving (albeit supervised). You should know your way about the equipment by now and be fairly comfortable in the water.

I would echo Lorenzoid - tell the DM and the instabuddy you get. Most divers will be appreciative of you being up front about it (they were new divers at some point as well) and as said may give you some helpful pointers. The other thing is that, with them knowing your experience level, you might just relax that bit more knowing people have your back.

Agree with the comments about being up front with your diving. It took me about 30 dives to really get comfortable with myself. Frankly, I found it re-assuring that people around me (DMs or friends from my club) gave pointers on how to improve but also what I'm doing well for a beginner. It's not a contest by any stretch so don't let yourself be intimidated by others or be afraid to admit where you may need help. We've all been there and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the help! I do agree there's no good reason (and maybe some bad ones) to keep my experience level a secret. Looking forward to learning more here - and in the water!

My biggest concern was not looking stupid setting gear up but you seem fine there. If boat diving remember where the anchor line is....

I would be very upset to find out a person I was buddies with did not disclose he/she was new and had not been in saltwater before. As a dive pro I'd be even more upset because someone kept that info from me.
Not having that info might lead to a dive plan way beyond your comfort, skill, and safety level. Possibly ending up in a serious situation. Tell your brother to mind his own business.
Be honest and upfront with the DM, captain, shop, and anyone you buddy up with. Everyone will have a better time.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2015 at 05:39 PM ----------

Saying that remember that the person ultimately responsible for your safety is you. If after relaying this info the DM or guide does something or comes up with a dive plan that gives you the creeps - don't do the dive. During the dive if they do anything that makes you uneasy, end the dive. You are under no obligation to follow them to what could be a bad place for you.

I'd suggest looking at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Your feelings are understandable. We've been there. Some of us had more help than others. One of my early (and now former) dive buddies was a former instructor with thousands of dives. But don't put too much value on some people's experience. Take their attitude into account. It helped a lot to go on some easy dives with this guy, but it didn't last. Why? He could be very pushy for dives that required a bit more experience. I backed out last minute of a dive that I just wasn't comfortable (high currents, out in the Puget Sound, only boat accessible, with no one staying in the boat) when I had not been certified all that long. I had never experienced any strong currents up until that point. Also, it was winter, had just snowed (yes, I know the water is warmer than the air then). I did the right thing. He did the wrong thing. A good dive buddy will never push you into a stressful situation that you may be feel is beyond your expertise. Today that dive would be no big deal for me. So, just take things in steps where you are comfortable and having fun. Before you know it, you'll be doing some fun, challenging dives.

Do tell the divemaster. I do a lot of dives with green/lapsed divers. There is a whole lot I could tell you, go over with you and generally handle differently with you if you let me know the situation.

To build your confidence and prepare, search this site for other threads to find ones like "new diver tips", "diving with a new diver", and "first trip", "first boat trip" -type threads. These threads can also help you with packing, extras/spares (like o-rings), etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom