Excessive phlegm in back of throat after every dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgi

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an issue that could cause problems that I'd like to resolve. I have around 50 logged dives and it happened on every one I can remember. After a few minutes into the dive, my throat and nasal passages start to accumulate a lot of phlegm. Sometimes I have to cough it out through the reg if the dive lasts a while. When I get to the top, I always have a lot of phlegm to cough out. It's annoying and I'm sure other divers aren't impressed with the presents I leave on the surface, but you gotta breathe...

The safety concern is the potential anxiety / stress this could cause at depth, especially of there were some breathing passage blockage as a result. Anyone experience this?

Sounds like an allergy, but all you are breathing is purified air.

Maybe change air providers, cleaning your tanks, see if that helps.

Panic and anxiety? Better get a handle on that one. Talk to your instructor in earnest.

Your under hydrated. Drink at least two quarts of water per day. Thats water, not coffee, soda or beer. Your body needs just plain water to clear itself out. If you do this you will notice a big difference.

Jim

the air you are breathing is very dry. This causes your sinuses to become slightly irritated as they begin to dry out. As they become irritated, they begin to get active. Also, as the pressure changes, your sinuses expand and contract, causing things to move around. I have the problem sometimes too. Sudafed or Tylenol Sinus Allergy an hour or two before the dive usually helps.

Roatanman, it doesn't matter where I get the air or nitrox from, so I doubt the air is bad or the tanks dirty - brand new pst100 tanks a couple weeks ago. Never had anxiety / panic over it. I was referring to the potential.

SwimJim, you may be right. I do drink a LOT before and after every dive. I see if I can choke down some more water. :wink:

Venturediver, hmmm... That might be what's happening. I'll pay attention to see if I can determine if it's worse on the earlier dives and try a sudafed.

thanks all.

(ick)

bgi:
Roatanman, it doesn't matter where I get the air or nitrox from, so I doubt the air is bad or the tanks dirty - brand new pst100 tanks a couple weeks ago. Never had anxiety / panic over it. I was referring to the potential.

SwimJim, you may be right. I do drink a LOT before and after every dive. I see if I can choke down some more water. :wink:

Venturediver, hmmm... That might be what's happening. I'll pay attention to see if I can determine if it's worse on the earlier dives and try a sudafed.

thanks all.

(ick)

Under hydration isn't just a day of the dive thing. Most people don't drink enough just plain water. I had a problem with my sinuses and my doctor told me to drink two quarts of water a day. I thought he was nuts. But when I did it, low and behold my sinuses cleared up. You have to drink water. Not a sports drink, not beer, ha. Just water. It will make a big difference.

Jim

I second the water, some Claritin might not be a bad idea either. One of my instructors has this little water filled container on his regulator that mists a little water in each breath to keep your throat dry. I don't know what it's called but I tried his regulator out and it was amazing the difference.

I have a similar problem, my advice, spit it out, don't swallow it. :wink:

dlndavid:
I have a similar problem, my advice, spit it out, don't swallow it. :wink:

Don't waste it ... it makes great defog :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom