Excessive phlegm in back of throat after every dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3rd, the Apollo Bio Filter - even if you don't have the phlegm problem, this thing rocks to help dry mouth

Dan,

How deep have you had the Bio Filter? Have you noticed any change in your breathing resistance, especially with exercise? I didn't see any information on the company's website about the effect (if any) of the product on actual or perceived breathing resistance so I'd be interested to hear your perspective, along with that of anyone else with experience with this item. I'd also be interested in hearing from the manufacturer about any testing that was done.

Thanks,
DDM

DDM,

The deepest I have taken the Bio Filter so far has been about 50 feet. I have not experienced any difference in the breathing at depth, and I have not seen any other divers report on this either (I did a lot of blog and review reading before buying it).

Hope that helps.

Dan

To OP and others that find some much phlegm collecting, ask yourself if you ever get congested at any other time, find yourself coughing after a meal or a drink of water. You might have GERDS, which may be indicated by also having heartburn . . . however, heartburn is not always a symptom but congestion almost always.

DDM,

The deepest I have taken the Bio Filter so far has been about 50 feet. I have not experienced any difference in the breathing at depth, and I have not seen any other divers report on this either (I did a lot of blog and review reading before buying it).

Hope that helps.

Dan

Dan, thanks for the followup!

Hey guys, another update to the phlegm in the back of the throat, and the gagging and coughing that it causes..... just what you wanted, right. So, I went diving this past weekend. Sudafed did the trick. This is my 3rd time doing more than 5 dives in a weekend, and using Sudafed. It's worked all three times, for all dives. I take the 12 hour about 2 hours before my 1st dive. It lasts all day. Drink lots of water, as this does dehydrate you. But it is so nice to be able to enjoy a dive without feeling like you are choking! Amazing!!!

To OP and others that find some much phlegm collecting, ask yourself if you ever get congested at any other time, find yourself coughing after a meal or a drink of water. You might have GERDS, which may be indicated by also having heartburn . . . however, heartburn is not always a symptom but congestion almost always.

Hi ChillyinCanada.... I do find my self coughing after a meal (sneezing some times too), and while drinking water some time. Interesting that it could be GERDS. I'll check that out with my doctor and get his thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom