Excessive phlegm in back of throat after every dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an issue that could cause problems that I'd like to resolve. I have around 50 logged dives and it happened on every one I can remember. After a few minutes into the dive, my throat and nasal passages start to accumulate a lot of phlegm. Sometimes I have to cough it out through the reg if the dive lasts a while. When I get to the top, I always have a lot of phlegm to cough out. It's annoying and I'm sure other divers aren't impressed with the presents I leave on the surface, but you gotta breathe...

The safety concern is the potential anxiety / stress this could cause at depth, especially of there were some breathing passage blockage as a result. Anyone experience this?

From ScubaDan ~
I'm having the exact same problem. It is really very concerning. It gets to the point that I feel like I am going to start gagging and choking on the phlegm while 60 ft down. I cough it out through my reg as well, but it seems to come back just as fast as I can cough it out. When I surface I typically have a huge phlegm ball (sorry for the visual) that I am coughing out.

I discussed it with a dive buddy this weekend, where I was thinking it was the cold water I am diving in. I'm a Monterey diver where it typically stays around 51 degrees, give or take. He suggested it was the dry air that is causing my lungs to compensate by discharging more phlegm. Now I am thinking it is a combination of both.

I really wish I knew of a cure for this. I am afraid that one day I won't be able to keep it under some level of control. Please do ping me if you come up with any solutions.

Dan

I've a good amount of biologic I hack up as well, but gagging and chocking seems excessive.

While underwater my allergies go away.. I wonder if you are allergic to something in the water.

What venture & swim said + you don't have to cough/spit/hock thru your reg, take a deep breath, remove your reg and let 'er rip !!!!....With a little practice you won't even have to use all the air in your lungs !!!....And the other divers never need to see or know [and the fish don't care] ;O !!!

I have a similar problem, my advice, spit it out, don't swallow it. :wink:

First time I've ever heard a male advocate spitting over swallowing...

Life is full of surprises.

As for hydration, beer doesn't count? I shouldn't be putting down a 6 pack before going under? I'll have to get a second opinion on this one, to ensure an accurate assessment and because keeping the dive fun is paramount!

Just kidding, don't drink and dive, dive then drink...

A sinus squeeze will push stuff out of your sinuses, causing drainage through both your nose and throat. Hence the repeated scenes of divers surfacing and removing their masks only to reveal a major garboon emerging from their nostrils. I'm often forced to blow my nose UW to relieve sinus pressure, but if you try this, get your mask well clear of your nose. It's no fun to put you mask back on only to find your vision is umm ... blocked.

Hello,

I am having a very very similar issue. I am having issues with post nasal drip while diving. It makes me cough, want to spit constantly, and makes me gag while diving. I also dive in cold water. I've been doing a lot, and I mean A LOT of research on this problem. It has been suggested that I try a couple of things.

1) a saline rinse the morning of my dives. Saline because it is non-medicated, and non-habbit forming, and most Doctor forums say it does the trick to reduce the constancy of mucus.

2) an Apollo Bio-Filter, which provides moist air.

The apotheoses is that breathing the cold, dry air is making my sinuses produce more mucus, making me feel it in the back of my throat. I have not tried the Apollo filter yet, but I read the reviews and it looks awesome. I will re-post after mine shows up in the mail, and I give it a try.

Please do post if you find a solution out side of these.

Thanks,
ScubaDan

---------- Post Merged at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:04 PM ----------

the air you are breathing is very dry. This causes your sinuses to become slightly irritated as they begin to dry out. As they become irritated, they begin to get active. Also, as the pressure changes, your sinuses expand and contract, causing things to move around. I have the problem sometimes too. Sudafed or Tylenol Sinus Allergy an hour or two before the dive usually helps.

Can you take these medications and then dive? I would think it could cause some crazy underwater at depth side affects. I was thinking Saline rinse sprays may be good. Also going to look into the Apollo Bio Filter for breathing moist air. Thoughts?

Hello there. I have been experimenting with different solutions regarding the excessive phlegm in the back of through problem during and after every dive. Several treatments are obvious, but none work as well as all together. The problem is most likely caused by sinuses over acting to make up for the cold, dry air. Combined with the pressure of being at depth, it causes a post nasal drip that builds up in the back of the throat.

1st, avoid coffee and dairy products on the day of the dive
2nd, drink tons of water.
3rd, the Apollo Bio Filter - even if you don't have the phlegm problem, this thing rocks to help dry mouth
4th, Shhh, Sudafed - NON DROWSY. I would never suggest taking a decongestant and doing a deep dive if you are having ear block, as it could ware off while you are down, and cause serious problems. But, if ear block is not your problem, this worked wonders for drying up the sinuses to avoid the post nasal drip that builds up in the back of the throat.

I think I have this problem in control after doing 5 dives this past weekend. I will post updates from time to time. Let's hope I can start enjoying the diving as I would really like to. BGI, I hope this works for you too!

I would also add avoid orange juice too, this is also known to produce phlegm

Mucus Cleansing Diet | eHow.com

Greetings bgi I have learned to manage my issues that are a lot what you describe.
I drink about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water a day.
I also sought out a ACAI multi high anti oxidant beery blend to aid in anti inflammatory.
Thinking that allergens might be at play with you as well they were horrible till I actively sought a treatment.

One thing I want to really make clear my struggle with prescription and over the counter drugs was only successful in small windows.
What they do to your body can be counter productive to your diving.
Get into contact with D.A.N. and make sure your ENT is fully briefed on your diving plans and how they inter act with diving.
I have made some significant bounds in my 6 year journey learning to battle the sinus/ear issues.

There have been times when I was training I actually went off the meds and used the cold pressure to clear my head.
This is ugly and best done with a familiar buddy because if your ears are not clearing it can be a short dive.
Once in Lake Huron I had to remove my mask at 60' to blow my nose, which resulted in a nasty case of vertigo and monster snot jelly fish!
You can overcome this just do not be foolish and push to hard doing more damage than good!

If your congestion is in your chest DO NOT DIVE!
I have commented on head only congestion and I am not a doctor.
Seek an ENT & D.A.N. to work together with you as you move down the path to a free breathing future.
Panic is not an option conquer the issue and deal with it in as natural as you can.
Gain YOUR experience carefully, learn what your body needs to be healthy free of drugs as possible.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

PS. You can pm me if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom