Exceeding the NDL during recreation diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, of course that's true. Not sure why you mentioned it in the first place?
Because your profile shows you've taken SDI Solo.

Because your profile shows you've taken SDI Solo.

Yes, that's true. And I'm aware that DECO isn't taught during the SDI solo course, nor any other solo diving course, or any other non-tech, recreational diving course. As I said it's something I learned from reading and experience.

...And I'm aware that DECO isn't taught during the SDI solo course, nor any other solo diving course, or any other non-tech, recreational diving course...
SSI Decompression Diving has been offered for several years and has previously been discussed on SB

I'm not a tech diver. I'm not an experienced diver. I have fewer than 50 dives under my belt.

But I'll give my take anyways, and take it for what it's worth.

You've either set your conservatism to medium for a reason, or it's the factory setting and you haven't changed it because you're not completely in the know what it is or why it's set that way.

As a fellow noob diver, I'd recommend not exceeding your NDL. If you inadvertently do, follow the dive computer's instructions, and don't dive again for 24 hours. Will you be able to dive again that same day after you've cleared your deco obligations? Yes, you've cleared your obligations, but you are not qualified to exceed your NDL, and you should take responsibility for yourself.

If you don't take NDL seriously, what will be the next safety measure you won't take seriously? Can you surface with less than 50bar in reserve? Sure. Can you exceed your ascent rate? Of course. Can you dive deeper than you certification allows? Absolutely. Every safety measure you ignore will put you at more risk for DCI.

You may be able to get away with this for hundreds of dives, until you don't. Why take the risk.

Also, manipulating your computer's settings to achieve the results you want is the wrong way to go about it. Your computer tries to keep you safe based on the parameters you or the manufacturer have set. You can change those parameters if you know what you're doing, to suit your physical and acquired capabilities. If you change settings to extend your NDL just to extend your NDL, you are feeding the computer incorrect information and the computer will give you incorrect safety limits.

Ultimately, you're responsible for your own safety and for that of your dive buddy. If you put yourself at risk, you put your dive buddy at risk. Why take the chance for 5 extra minutes of dive time? The site will be there in the afternoon, and tomorrow, and next year. Wouldn't it be nicer if you got to visit the site again rather than the hospital?

As a fellow noob diver, I'd recommend not exceeding your NDL. If you inadvertently do, follow the dive computer's instructions, and don't dive again for 24 hours. Will you be able to dive again that same day after you've cleared your deco obligations? Yes, you've cleared your obligations, but you are not qualified to exceed your NDL, and you should take responsibility for yourself.
That's quite conservative. The computer will have tracked what you did on the previous dive and will adjust the next dive's NDL accordingly.

That's quite conservative. The computer will have tracked what you did on the previous dive and will adjust the next dive's NDL accordingly.
True, but in my humble opinion, especially as a new diver like myself, you should be very conservative. Knowledge comes with experience which I'm still lacking. If I exceed the NDL I've exceeded my limits, and I should not put my blind trust in the computer.

Your GF99 will likely be 0 when you surface, or shortly after that for most recreational dives. It's still smart to stay out of the water for an hour before diving back in. You don't need to dive at the limits.

...Your GF99 will likely be 0 when you surface, or shortly after that for most recreational dives...
That is not correct. Review your logged dives in the Shearwater Cloud. Your end surface GF is shown in the computer summary and you can follow the GF99 on the graph. You might want to learn to use SurfGF to follow your surfacing GF during your dive.

Here is a very easy rec dive. Max depth 58 ft, avg depth 48 ft, 61 min dive time on 34% nitrox, NDL never less than 74 min. My surfacing GF was 48%, the GF99 curve is shown in orange.
1725293945545.png

1725294086262.png

I would think it is more effective to question or refute statements that are made by someone who is incorrect, rather than imply that since the individual is lacking a piece of plastic in their wallet, that they don’t know enough and or don’t know everything.

Getting a tech certification does not universally bestow omniscience or comprehension of everything that a person does not know. To attack a member in this manner seems to imply that a tech certification is absolute proof of complete knowledge and perfect skills, which is clearly not the case.

I’m a lot more comfortable with someone carefully and thoughtfully going a little past the ndl and having adequate bail out, compared to someone who casually approaches the ndl and feels safe because they come close to, but never put the computer into the “red” zone ( and have no redundancy).

You might want to learn to use SurfGF to follow your surfacing GF during your dive.

Here's a good article from Mark Powell about dive planning and SurfGF (among other things)

Here's another good article about SurfGF and GF99

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom