Examples of a dive death that could not have been prevented?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One has to take the writings of G3 with a mound of salt - he always offers an agenda. Of all the deaths in modern cave history, Parker Turner's was the most freakish in nature and could not have been prevented in any way.

Dont dive with sharks?

If a bear breaks into your car and eats you, is it a driving accident?

For some of us, sharks are a huge issue. I have been involved in a number of very serious incidents with sharks. They are a BIG issue for searfishing divers in certain areas. The biggest threats to my safety are probably:

being hit by a boat
injured by another diver screwing up
shark bite
entanglement
deco problems
equipment problems
other issues

And the Gilliam shark attack story is VERY unlikely and hard to believe... I believe it.

If your death during diving was unpreventable, then your dive plan was by definition a suicide plan.

Accidents are always preventable, unless you are out to commit suicide.

Diving in an unstable area that is subject to natural disasters is a form of suicide, if not altogether a death wish.

BTW the above story is among the most dubious ive seen.

QUOTE]

Gilliam is a hero. The only thing I find dubious about it is that he made the ascent despite being hampered by his giant brass boys. He must have been using an OMS BC with 94 lbs of lift.

If your death during diving was unpreventable, then your dive plan was by definition a suicide plan.

Accidents are always preventable, unless you are out to commit suicide.

That seems alwfully silly. Then why are not ALL accidents preventable? Why do we have seatbelts. air bags and life preservers?????

Accidents are always preventable, unless you are out to commit suicide..
I have read (probably on SB-sorry, can't find link) of divers being sucked off the surface by vortexes, I believe in Nusa Penida. If I recall correctly, the divers had adequate air and presence of mind to handle the situation. But it is easy to imagine a diver at the end of a dive with 500 pounds of air in his tank being sucked to an early demise. Preventable? Yes--don't dive where there are strong currents; don't dive with single Al80's. Unfortunately, the diving in Nusa Penida is far superior to the local YMCA pool, and I, for one, am willing to chance it. Every chance I get.

Diving in an unstable area that is subject to natural disasters is a form of suicide, if not altogether a death wish.
I guess the huge section of Southeast Asia hit by the tsunami falls under this category. I have foolishly dived a decent portion of it. Again, even considering the (miniscule) risk, it sure beats the YMCA pool.

The point is, no matter how conservative you are, you are still at risk, right? This theme keeps popping up. But how can you say their is an inherent risk, then turn around and say every death is preventable?

If it's absolutely preventable, what is the risk?

Divers dying in a down current on a wall like in Cozumel.
TwoBit

That's preventable with training. Has it ever actually happened?

Terry

... why are not ALL accidents preventable? ...

All SCUBA accidents are preventable. Crank up the conservatism, to as high as necessary, and that will get you there. Self-sufficiency, two of everything, and more than enough gas, and you are there. The rule of thirds is actually for your benefit, not just for your buddy.

...Why do we have seatbelts. air bags and life preservers?????

Cars, now, are indeed a totally different story. Driving in your car is infinitely more dangerous than scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom