Examples of a dive death that could not have been prevented?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define unprovoked shark attack. Simply walking through polar bear land = provoking an attack in my mind. Just because people are oblivious to how obnoxious they are around wild animals, doesnt mean attacks were unprovoked.
You are arguing that our mere presence in shark-infested waters is risking a fatal shark attack. I agree, however slight that risk may be. So you agree that not all scuba diving fatalities are preventable? Unless we restrict ourselves to the YMCA pool.

I agree, cars are more dangerous ...

What's the story? Is this the line you give your wife: " Don't worry; nothing CAN happen" when you leave a warm bed at 6:00 am to go diving?

My fiancee knows that when I go diving I am the most deadly predator in the oceans.

She hopes that I won't kill any fishes, including sharkies.

She also knows that I am not stupid, and therefore she has about 6 hours of peace and freedom to do whatever she wants until I am back.:eyebrow:

My fiancee knows that when I go diving I am the most deadly predator in the oceans.

She hopes that I won't kill any fishes, including sharkies.

I think I am getting the picture now...

You are arguing that our mere presence in shark-infested waters is risking a fatal shark attack. I agree, however slight that risk may be. So you agree that not all scuba diving fatalities are preventable? Unless we restrict ourselves to the YMCA pool.

No I dont agree. Prevent a shark attack by not diving in shark infested waters. Several scuba divers have died in pool sessions, some were teachers. They messed up and drowned in 8 feet of water. Zeus didnt do it... If you want to prevent a deadly shark attack, but want to dive with many dangerous sharks, you should carry bang sticks, wear a chain suit, use the electronic shark thing, whatever....

No I dont agree. Prevent a shark attack by not diving in shark infested waters. If you want to prevent a deadly shark attack, but want to dive with many dangerous sharks, you should carry bang sticks, wear a chain suit, use the electronic shark thing, whatever....
Despite the senseless slaughter of a 100 million sharks or more over the last decade or two, there are still sharks out there, no matter where you dive in the ocean. (I even saw one in Bonaire a couple of weeks ago.) Should I don the chain mail for my beach dives in Bonaire, or should I put the negligible risk into perspective, and not live life like a timid little mouse?

Certainly you do not have to worry all that much in Bonaire. Far less even when you dive where I do, in the North East. I would argue, significantly higher if you dive in certain locations near Australia or in the Channel Islands. But the point is, you can prevent a shark attack. You may chose not to, and to take a minor risk for the sake of enjoying life and the living world. But dont post here about how shocked you are that a shark killed someone. If you lived in the water and chicken wings started swimming past you, how would you react? Mmm sounds like a good decompression bubble idea.

Wow, you folks are really being tough on one another. One extreme view would have us believe that there is no such thing as a dive related death, seemingly using the logic that only life causes death, regardless of what you do. I think there are some who prepare too much and others that could be more prudent in their choices. Unfortunately from the very beginning of PADI certification there is a sense that this training is enough to get you safely started. I disagree. But I can't quantify what is sufficient either. Further, when on some dive boats, I've seen people with a defensive 'I know what I'm doing' approach. I try to be humble and think that 'I think I know what I'm doing' but I'm still open to comments and listen to what other divers have to say.
Immaturity and making bad decisions are a fact of life. Anyone who has survived the teen years must have a few examples of things that could have gone the wrong way. We don't have any good way of dealing with immaturity or bad decision making other than to be reasonably careful divers ourselves and dive with competent buddies.
As for the above mentioned jet ski drivers, we may need to define these actions in terms of self-defense and carry weapons, or advocate for reasonable legal action against such behaviors.
Thanks for the thoughtful thread.

One thing I notice is that people assume that those who argue that the deaths are preventable, are agueing that you should do all you can do in order to prevent the deaths.

Example (not intended to pick on someone):
"Should I don the chain mail for my beach dives in Bonaire, or should I put the negligible risk into perspective, and not live life like a timid little mouse?"

The point being made was not that you should do everything to prevent them. The point was made that you could prevent them.

I bet z3r0c00l makes plenty of dives where the "negligible" risk has been put into perspective.
And if the negligible risk was assumed incorrect and whilst being eaten by the big shark, z3r0c00l realises that this is another dive related death that could have been prevented.

For those of you ready to shoot me down....I am still undecided on the matter whether all dive related death are (un)preventable.

Your odds of being killed by an elephant exceed those of being killed by a shark. What steps do you routinely take to avoid death by elephant?

Back
Top Bottom