Everything under 2 weeks - dive op, schedule, accommodation, air tickets, babysitter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zinshui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
I have been eyeing to dive Philippines since i started diving 17 years ago....

Its time.

i am looking for any info re which operator to go with, accomodations, recreation etc.

Hubby and i have been somewhat "spoilt" having dove in pristine waters with suberb service - indonesia, maldives, red sea, cozumel, etc.

I read somewhere that malapascua is overrated... but its hard to believe...i havent anything concrete to convince me so though.

so, i am looking to combine a trip to the far east to dive malapascua and Bohol. planning 8 days total inside philipines from touch down to flight out - is that too tight?

i have read some posts recommending these dive ops. Malapascua: TSD or Evolution?

Bohol: Bohol Divers - mixed reviews (some say good some swear its not), Alona divers, Thresher Shark Divers?

Where to stay? Malapascua: Aabana cottages or Cocobana? or somewhere else?

Bohol: Tierra Azul? whereelse?

i have just started my research but i have very little time. need to nail down airtickets, dive op, schedules etc. if all is well, we are planning to be there in 2 weeks but i understand i should avoid april until after 25th april and avoid May 1??? is it that impt and make a big diff in the prices?

Also, when you are recommending, pls consider we have a big factor - our two young fellows - 2 and 4 yrs old. is there any way i can hire a part time nanny locally that i can trust so hubby and i can dive together?

we are hoping to travel budget to mid range, with a comfotable and safe place at the resort/hotel that the kids can hang out while we are out in the seas.

does anyone has anything to add re kids at dive centers - are any of these dive ops children friendly?

i am in middle east/ Jordan. which is the best to fly - to singapore and take a cheap budget air to cebu? or direct to manila and change to domestic?

thank you so much in advance.
from a much appreciated diver-mummy.

Lots of questions, not much time...

8 days isn't long, travel intra Philippines isn't very efficient. And 2 weeks notice is pretty short to arrange everything IMO

Easter isn't the best time to visit as everyone is going home to visit family. As you probably know, there are lots of Filipinos in the middle east, so flights will be at a premium. Then June is the start of low season (which I like as it's quiet - but it can be wet/typhoons, and the viz isn't as good as Dec/Jan) however the water is warm (28-30C)

Finding a nanny won't be hard (after Holy Week)

There are lots of threads here about where to go & when, depends what you want to see

In my opinion Malapascua is under rated... we just keep finding more and more incredible macro stuff on our sites - and of course theres the sharks and rays. If you like macro as well as pelagics then its hard to be disappointed. And the weather is fantastic at the moment as well.

Aabana is certainly a nice spot and very private and peaceful.

Prices shouldnt vary other than those of flights which will be huge over the holiday periods.

Child friendly is Malapascua's middle name - I havea 3 yr old and she play all day on the beach and has a great nanny to watch over her. The boys will love it here and they can hang out all day and play.

Let me know if you want more info on anything to do with Malapascua.

Matt.

So you are a procrastinator like me but worse;-) quite frankly I initially thought your post was some sort of prank.

You really aren't being reasonable with notice and planning. I would recommend going to Bohol as there are more accommodations available and you can get there quickly by ferry or flight. I strongly recommend diving in Malapascua in the future when you have more time. I just completed my 12th visit there. I like the variety of dive site environments in the area. I like Bohol too and there is a lot of macro to find with a knowledgable guide. The fish life I one of more healthy in the region and I saw plenty of eels as evidence.

It will difficul to do on a budget. I have no idea what kind air fares there are from Jordan. You could fly in to Manila and transfer to a domestic flight to Tagbilaran or fly in to Cebu and get a ferry to Tagbillaran then you are only a 30 minute taxi ride from Alona Beach, Bohol. If you don't need aircon room they are as cheap as 700 php but that is one bed and I would imagine your kids will want ac.

My recommendation is fly directly into and out of Cebu if you can get good connections. Cebupacificair.com has relatively cheap fares..... just be sure to purchase the sports package for you and your husband if your carrying your gear.. Also be aware of the different choices for baggage....

If the kids are good/easy travelers you could do both Malapascua and Alona, but you wont have much time for sightseeing in Bohol.. which is something most people opt for... If you are on a mid range western budget, finding a Nanny is never a problem.

Matt has offered to assist you in Malapascua, and it is really easy in Alona, I would not be too stressed about locking down reservations right now especially if your not going to Bohol first. Just pick up a SIM card when you get the PI and give any resorts/hotels a call.

I have stayed at several of the resorts and I think the Alona Kew is good for families, I brought family there several times. I have also stayed at Bohol Divers several times and it is ok.... Now I always stay in Tagbilaran and just take a car into Alonafor diving... As the Bohol Tropics has a great pool for my wife and anyone else that might be a non diver and they have good tour rates...

Good luck with your planning...

Cheers
Roger

Thanks thanks to all who replied! wow, all your comments are wetting my appetite....i love the macro creatures!

ok, i have rearranged the dates to be more realistic...to give myself a little more breathing space.

at least i have the flights segments more or less nailed.... will fly direct into cebu. i go thru dubai via Singapore and SQ will bring me to cebu without having to pass manila...

will touch down cebu airport on 19 may. my flight arrives mid day so i will be in malapascua by late afternoon. dive next 4 days (20, 21, 22, 23), pick up and move to Bohol/alona beach on 24th. dive alona / balicasag 25, 26, 27. fly out 28th 3.30pm. that leaves little time to explore the island :( (i know, i am one of those who wants to do everything!!)

is this plan too ambitious? (yes, traveling with my two little adventurous ones)

its just hard not to cover more since i dont know how many more donkey years will it be until i return again...

base on my arrival and departure times, any difference if i reverse the itinery to go straight to bohol first do the dives there and then onward to malapascua after that?

compare tepanee resort and aabana cottage?

better to book the resorts on my own or thru the dive ops?

thank you! oh no, this is not a prank, i am very grateful for all those who replied!

The only thing I would change are the number of days I stayed in Malapascua and Bohol (I would reverse them)..... Especially if they have been having luck with daily thresher sightings....

Cheers

Thanks thanks to all who replied! wow, all your comments are wetting my appetite....i love the macro creatures!

ok, i have rearranged the dates to be more realistic...to give myself a little more breathing space.

at least i have the flights segments more or less nailed.... will fly direct into cebu. i go thru dubai via Singapore and SQ will bring me to cebu without having to pass manila...

will touch down cebu airport on 19 may. my flight arrives mid day so i will be in malapascua by late afternoon. dive next 4 days (20, 21, 22, 23), pick up and move to Bohol/alona beach on 24th. dive alona / balicasag 25, 26, 27. fly out 28th 3.30pm. that leaves little time to explore the island :( (i know, i am one of those who wants to do everything!!)

is this plan too ambitious? (yes, traveling with my two little adventurous ones)

its just hard not to cover more since i dont know how many more donkey years will it be until i return again...

base on my arrival and departure times, any difference if i reverse the itinery to go straight to bohol first do the dives there and then onward to malapascua after that?

compare tepanee resort and aabana cottage?

better to book the resorts on my own or thru the dive ops?

thank you! oh no, this is not a prank, i am very grateful for all those who replied!

I'm confused - it's now May not April?

Matt, thank you for answering all my questions on emails. Looking forward to dive with you in May!
Now, planning for diving Bohol. i have total total 5 days 6 nights on Bohol. i like to leave 1 day for countryside tour, and maybe 1 day before flight to chill.

ideally, how many days should i allocate diving to hit the best spots?

i like to take Roger's advice to get to Cabilao one of the days if i can...i guess not a must have but a nice to have.

i am planning to stay at Alona as my diving launchpad and then transfer to stay at Bohol Bee Farm for a couple nights. BBF offer island tours to see whales and dolphins combine with Pamilacan lunch, and option to snorkel or dive. Pamilican island seem closer to BBf than Alona beach.

If i do this island tour, it will cut back one day of diving from Alona with the dive op. but the kids will get to be on the boat to enjoy the island tour. i have read about diving at Pamilican and Snake Island sites. hope it dosent sound silly, is it a good trade off to opt for the island tour plus possibly 1 dive during the tour versus 2 dives at this site with dive op from Alona? more chance to see the mantas and whales underwater?

details of island tour:
Dolphin/Whale Watching – One of the country’s richest scuba diving sites is Pamilacan Island noted also its huge whales and manta rays, between the deep sea of Bohol and Mindanao. Whale and dolphin – watching has become a popular ecotourism activity in the area where sightings have been almost certain. Dolphin species abundant in the area are bottlenose, spinner, and spotted while 13 species of cetaceans are found including the melon-headed and baby sperm whales. The tour likewise includes a visit to an uninhabited yet beautiful white sandy islet where a group can bathe exclusively by themselves. For the more curious who love to explore the underwater marine life, one may opt to go snorkeling or diving.Inclusions: Boat with life vest, spotter, fresh seafood lunch at an island community, and bottled water

Pamilican is NOT that far from Alona Beach. You can arrange all those dolphin/whale watching from Alona Beach as well. This will save you time on packing and unpacking and moving to different resort.
The kids would appreciate the day trip on the boat.
Some dive operators will arrange special trip to Cabilao if there is enough demand. Just enquire around.

Back
Top Bottom