Ever lost your computer the MIDDLE of a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only reason to need a depth gauge is if you didnt know your current depth (which you REALLY should) or if you plan to go deeper than what youre currently at. If you descend or ascend your ears will tell you..

About 7 years ago I was in Roatan and after diving 3-4 dives a day for five days I was in the shallows and the whole screen went blank and then came back on like I had just gotten there the first day. Fortunately I had a backup. When I got home I returned it and they sent it back in for repair. Got it back and havent had any trouble since. Computer is Cochran Commander.

Now comes the fun question- which deco Algorithm do you like?

For significant profiles and especially for mix I prefer RGBM because, to a significant degree, I understand and like the science (I am am mathematician by background, but not a physicist so couldn't write a thesis on it). I am less enamored of the VPM model (as the underlying algorithms seem to be held somewhat close to the chest) but both have strong science behind them with strong empirical backing to boot.

However, there was a great article recently that caused me to reflect upon bubble models generally which may give me cause to change my practice, but I am unable to locate that at the moment. Plus bodies are not perfectly modeled environments and fluid dynamics can be chatic to a degree. Enter 'fudge factors' stage left.

That said, for rec diving, Buhlman variants have a rigorous background to them second to none, and they work a treat having a long and glorious record in practice- it's hard to beat what works.

Re Computer Failure:
(1) Plan your dive in advance rather than jumping in and relying upon the computer.
(2) If doing (1) then a separate depth gauge and timer will suffice as backup in the event that your computer fails (bottom timer works nicely)
(3) If not doing (1) then carry 2 computers.
(4) There's nothing wrong with carrying 2 computers anyway.

I carry:
Tec 2x bottom timers with 1x computer as backup (dives are planned)
Rec 2x computers (just jump in and go! Only joking)
None are air/ gas intergated

My 2 pennies and you got exactly what you paid for this!

P

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom