Ever lost your computer the MIDDLE of a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchapman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yeowza... I had a sobering experience yesterday...

I was working on some mooring chains for a friend here in the great frozen north yesterday. I was on my second dive, 45' of 58 degree water (below 2 thermoclines) detangling a chain from one of two mushroom anchors.

I flip over to my compter (UWATEC SmartCom; not air integrated) to pick up the particulars of my dive...and what does it say? "E 6". No depth, no time, no temp, not even a "how ya do'n?", nothing...

Fortunately I also keep track of dive time with my watch, so I had a clue there, although I forgot to reset the time between my first ascent and my second decent. :rolleyes: ... so I estimated my surface time, finished my mission, estimated my safety stop depth, and then made my ascent to the surface.

So... after droping my computer off at my local scuba shop to return to ScubaPro, I bought a backup depth gauge that I'm going to keep in my vest from now on. I remember "discussions" about failing computers...but really, what are the ODDS in that happening!? :shocked2: ... OK, I get it... NOW.

This begs the question... how many of you have a backup computer, or at least backup analog gauges?

I'm seriously considering purchasing a backup computer; am I crazy?

Frank/Alan... you guys do some fairly agressive diving and have an impressive redudant breathing setup; do you also carry backup depth/time devices?

Hi John,

Your ears must have been burning......just this weekend Kory and I were discussing your travels and adventures, and job----great to hear from you......now get back to DFW and stay.

Actually I am a strong believer in using backup computers in many a dive situation. You were smart to have had the watch on so you knew your dive time frame.....that the dive was in shallow waters plus your experience allowed you to judge stop times! Glad all turnered out fine!!

I own 2 'matching dive computers' that I persl. wear on opp. wrist during those dives requiring redundant gear such as this. My R wrist is my primary tool, and my L wrist is used as a backup. The best dive computer is still between my 'ears'.......it contains more data than can be used at once........ (model name: Brain).

In addition to those 2 matching dive computers I have a Timex Dive Helix, which is a great tool that offers several screens ans differing dive information. I don't believe they are in the Timex line anymore but are still avlbl. on eBay.

Of course what good scuba diver would be without a basic dive watch.....mine is the newer Timex Exposition with a depth rating of 200 meters. Great timepiece and even Timeliner gave an OK node to it!!!

Happy and safe diving................ Alan

This begs the question... how many of you have a backup computer, or at least backup analog gauges?

Frank/Alan... you guys do some fairly agressive diving and have an impressive redudant breathing setup; do you also carry backup depth/time devices?

Although the majority of my dives are not aggressive, nor do I have an impressive redundant breathing setup, I have a different worldview on this subject. I have always used analog gauges while diving, and only recently bought a computer- I was intrigued by your title line, because I mostly consider the computer as a backup to the gauges, and can't imagine diving without them, since I never have.
The diving you described sounds as if it requires a fair amount of exertion, and I do feel that you would be way better off having some type of backup, whether it be another computer, or gauges. Especially if you're depending solely on it to keep you within safe diving guidelines. Good luck and have fun in the frigid water, brrrr!!

I use a Citizen NX Cyber Aqualand as my watch and dive recorder (hard to see with my 50 year old eyes) and a Cochran Commander (nice large readout) for my main dive computer as well as analog pressure and depth gages. If I am doing something deep or long I use doubles with that implied redundency of supplies.

Yes, on one dive in cold water my Cochran crapped out (it's battery when in the low range is susceptable to low temp) since I had the NX I was just fine (in fact is uses the Canadian algorithm so it was more restrictive than the Cochran.)

Mike

I flip over to my compter (UWATEC SmartCom; not air integrated) to pick up the particulars of my dive...and what does it say? "E 6". No depth, no time, no temp, not even a "how ya do'n?", nothing...

I know how you feel I had a computer flood once and just kinda sit there and blink on and off at me but I dive with a backup computer and both are air integrated so it worked out ok for me. I also use two transmitters just in case.

Yes, I wear backup computer. Didn't pay off until the 2nd dive of a 7 day trip to mexico last summer. The air pressure locked up on my computer during the dive. Thankfully I wear a back-up wrist computer and carry a pressure gauge in my bag so I switched to the gauge between dives. Thanks to have a back-up computer I didn't have to end my diving for the day.

Two computers (not air-integrated) minimum (sometimes three) and non-computer standard gauges.

Glad to hear all turned out well!

One computer only would be ok.
As long as you carry a depth gauge and a watch you can calculate with tables...
All divers should learn the proper use of table.
The computer should be used as en educational tool, the BRAIN should be the first...:wink:

I use a Viper Air, but I carry a backup puck computer in my BC with a backup reg set with console in my save a dive kit. I went to an AI because I was trying to reduce clutter. I have never had a problem with the transmitter, but I have been thinking maybe I'll attach an analog spg and just secure it to the side of my tank.
Carrie

Great points everyone.

The standard depth gauge is accurate plus or minus eight feet. ( I was shocked when I found out.) Now, the oiled filled units are slightly better.

The hockey puck (Scubapro electronic depth gauge) can fit into the traditional depth gauge slot and replace the depth gauge. Electronic depth gauges are usually good for within two feet.

A great cheaper option is the Uwatec Nitrox Pro or Ultra .
These can be flipped into gauge mode and away you go. You can pick one up for $150 or less. Or left in computer mode as a direct backup. The Uwatec Ultra was my first "gee wally this rocks" computer while cave diving.

I have the exact same Uwatec unit and I am interested in what happened.

For grins I wear the Casio G-shock and they are pretty bullet proof with time, count down timer and second timer. I must like them since I found another one at CSSP.
However, this unit does not have a depth gauge like Alan's.

For us Husbands 'borrowing' the wifes computer is always an option.
That is what I did in Cozumel while cave diving.

Also I keep a Diverite pocket with wet notes and tend to write down things like this.
It makes it easier to calulate tables. I also carry in that pocket- Naui tables, Navy tables (for real fubar) knife, and backup mask.
Had to use the backup mask once and glad I was carrying it.

One serious Note--- Some computers will switch off based on underwater time.
One of the older Oceanic models turns itself off after two hours of being submerged.
This really stinks when you call the manufacture and they say- your were out of recreational diving so the unit switches itself off. Nothing nice was said in return Promise.

Please do not remove your regular pressure gauges for electronic transmitters. You have two high pressure ports- fine use one. If the transmitter flakes out- you have no way to figure out what gas you have left.
Also integrated gas computers can get confused if you have separate deco gas and the transmitter on the deco gas flakes out. This has bitten a few people.

Now comes the fun question- which deco Algorithm do you like?

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom