Evening y'all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
Evening y'all!

This evenings post comes to you from beautiful Santa Rosa, NM.

I meant to post something early this morning; but I found that in my haste to get out of town, I powered the laptop down and packed it before I realized what I had done. I also would have posted a few hours earlier this evening; but it seems the hotel was having wi-fi problems. Anywho, all is well now.

In the morning, it's off to the Blue Hole!

John, I enjoyed talking to you tonight on the phone from N.M......have a great time!!!

Blue Hole's a fun dive, lot's of trinkets and stuff placed in the grottos for divers to look at. Course I don't envy getting out of the water in NM this time of the year...

Let us know how your dives go :D

Speaking of " Blue Holes...." How ya doin' there richerso ? !!!

Alright here we go. Sorry if you guys were expecting some sort of bizarre kidnapping, followed by an excursion to old Mexico to pick up some chicas and cheap tequilla. Didn't happen this time.

I got out of the hotel a little after 800am. I found city hall with almost no problem at all. Santa Rosa is a really small, quaint little town. All of the folks were real friendly and helpful. I even purchased some bolt snaps from the local hardware store.

Anywho, Richard, the town official in charge of issuing Scuba permits was real nice and real helpful. You have to go meet this guy to truly appreciate just how nice he is. He gave me my diver permit for $8 and we chatted a bit. He's used to talking to scuba divers. He knew the lingo and the gear even though he doesn't dive.

I found the Blue Hole with no problem at all. You will be amazed at just how small it truly is. You have to use your imagination here to picture me standing at the edge of the Hole with my mouth hanging open. Anywho, I got geared up in my drysuit :D. The air temperature was a lovely 46 F. As I was finishing my gear up, a cold front blew threw :shocked2: I couldn't tell that the temperature dropped any but the wind sure picked up to about 20knots constant.

As I was walking toward the water, one of the turistas milling about the area stopped me and asked if he could take my picture. I said sure. He told me had just driven in from Albuquerque (insert Bugs Bunny joke here) and that he was just barely outpacing a blizzard that was following him.

I got in the water and performed a very unremarkable descent down to about 75 ft. Bumbled around a bit and found the "cave entrance". It really wasn't much of an entrance. Or at least not today. Looks like it's been back-filled with rocks and such. It does have a metal grate thing over it as well. That's at 81 ft. I found a lot of little knick-knacks laying around in the odd crevices and such. Just little cheap plastic trinkets that people have left around for decor and ambiance. Well, that's it. That's one dive. After bumbling around for 30 minutes or so on the bottom, I made my way back to the top.

Water temp is advertised as a constant 61 F. My gauge showed 63 F. Visibility was right around 80+ ft. I find myself quoting timeliner here. "Great visibility is overrated". Anyway, it was a fun little dive. Elevation is 4700 ft here so plan accordingly.

After arriving on the surface, I found that the air temperature had dropped a few degrees and the wind was still kickin' at 20 knots. Having seen all of the blue hole in one dive, I just couldn't see getting back in for another dive.

After finishing up at Blue Hole, I decided to drive over to see the Very Large Array. Yes I am a nerd like that. Anyway, that drive turned out to be longer than I had anticipated so it kind of captured the rest of my day.

Long story short: I drove from Santa Rosa to just west of Soccoro to the VLA. Since I didn't want to spend the night in Soccoro, I now found myself in Ruidoso. Passed close to Trinity site along the way but didn't get to see it. I didn't know Ruidoso was a ski resort :confused:

Alert to the Technical Divers:
Richard was telling me that there is this wonderful lady who owns a ranch just outside of Santa Rosa. Apparently it's a large ranch but that's not the important part. The important part is what's on the ranch. A private lake, Rock Lake, with a depth of 350 ft. Richard says the lake is crystal clear except for the months of July and August. Richard gave me some contact info for the lady. He says that the owner will some times allow divers access to the lake with an advance request made politely. PM me if you need/want more details.

Now I am hungry and thirsty so it's off to find a burger and a beer.
Later y'all!

Hey John.......... THANKS man for the real time trek report....love it!!!! I am really happy things are going well and you are making the stops you had planned. I do want to exchange info. on the Round Lake or Wall as it is referred...I have some first hand diver reports on that location and your data will be helpful. As to Ruidoso, been there many times, as I had a sister-in-law and family whom lived there for years in the 80's (now I do have some tales on my visits there!!)--lol. I wish you continued safe a fun travels as you work your way back to crazy Arlington. :) Beer and burger do sound good....well make mine a diet soda.

Yes... A fine report ..... Wait a minute...
Were you Solo Diving !!! :shocked2:
You are going to DIE !!!!!! :rofl3:

I bet you will be back in town soon and ready for much more fun and excitement. Give us a call sometime :wink:

Passed close to Trinity site along the way but didn't get to see it.

FYI - the Trinity site is only open to the public twice per year... I think the 1st Saturday in April and October. Very cool to visit, as they have pictures and exhibits at ground zero, etc. My point is you didn't miss anything this round :wink:

Alert to the Technical Divers:
Richard was telling me that there is this wonderful lady who owns a ranch just outside of Santa Rosa. Apparently it's a large ranch but that's not the important part. The important part is what's on the ranch. A private lake, Rock Lake, with a depth of 350 ft. Richard says the lake is crystal clear except for the months of July and August. Richard gave me some contact info for the lady. He says that the owner will some times allow divers access to the lake with an advance request made politely. PM me if you need/want more details.

Definitely. I've heard a bit about this site, but never had a good lead to contact :D

Thanks for the report and have a safe drive home!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom