European Tank in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdan214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently moved back to the US from the UK and shipped my tanks from over there back as I had to leave sooner than expected (no legal troubles just had an oppurtunity I couldn't pass on) and didn't have time to sell the tanks before I left.

I've now run into the problem that they don't have DOT numbers on them and so the shops don't really know what to make of them and visual or fill them. They're faber steel tanks and checking the DOT website I saw that they are made with acceptable standards, I just need to find out how to get WHATEVER stamp I need on them to be able to get them filled.

Thoughts?

Sell them to someone with a compressor, or ship them back to the UK. While it is perfectly legal for an individual to fill or dive them, there is absolutely no way you can ever make them DOT-legal.

Do a search and you will find this has been covered many times.

Huh...I had searched but must have used the wrong key words. Thanks. Any British carribean islands use the same standards that it might be easier to sell them to?

And this caution from:
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/valves.shtml
“Outside the United States, particularly in Europe and Australia, a widely used SCUBA Tank neck thread form is known as M22. The NPS and M22 threads are very similar but not identical; it's possible to inadvertently mate cylinders and valves with these two different forms. However, when the cylinders are filled to working pressure, the different threads may not hold, causing the valve and cylinder to separate with dangerously explosive force. For this reason, it is unwise to transport NPS threaded valves outside of the U.S. or to bring international M22 threaded valves into the U.S.”

Back
Top Bottom