European Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hvulin:
Hi, most of my diving is at home in Croatia (Adriatic sea)...

It's very nice diving but we have some crappy laws that only make it harder to dive and not any safer...

but still, I've already started the season in march and it was VERY cold (the snow fell that day - even on the coast, water was around 9 deg.C, and air around 3)

I'm going to be in budapest this summer and I've been thinking about diving in Europe... what would i need to know about diving the the med and adriatic?

any other recommendations for areas to dive?

Merissa

Merissa, depends where you are stopping off en route, if you can split your journey in London then you can get cheap flights to nearly anywhere in the Med and even the red sea. I would say it depends on the amount/type of activity you want when not diving, i.e. culture v night life etc.

How's the diving in SD? I used to spend a bit of time out there, but although all my friends out there are divers I only learned to dive after my last trip :(

annie:
Just come back from 2 days of diving in Ahillies, Beara Peninsula in West Cork, Ireland. Super duper diving. Some people even saw a basking shark . . .I wasn't so lucky.

Fantastic underwater terrain . . . cliffs and gorges and huge rocks with sandy patches in between . . . great stuff. Plenty of fish, including very territorial cuckoo wrasse (one of them had a go at my buddy!), and wonderful beds of dahlia and jewel anemones.

Not to mention the fantastic scenery on land . . .and wonderful Cork people with those accents (!) I will post up some pictures when I get a chance.

You are making me jealous....I spent two weeks on Bear Island watching other people dive and not diving myself.

My parents live in Cork now so I'm hoping to get over there to dive one of these days.

Conor:
Merissa, depends where you are stopping off en route, if you can split your journey in London then you can get cheap flights to nearly anywhere in the Med and even the red sea. I would say it depends on the amount/type of activity you want when not diving, i.e. culture v night life etc.

How's the diving in SD? I used to spend a bit of time out there, but although all my friends out there are divers I only learned to dive after my last trip :(

well. my main destination is eastern europe. so i was interested in diving areas closest to where i'll be... weekend type excursions. i've been reading about the black sea wrecks, adriatic, etc. been thinking about varna... but i guess i'm close enough to israel too. my current plan is to start in budapest for a couple months... do weekend/week trips to surrounding countries then work my way to england around oct. to visit with friends then return home...

sd diving can be nice... although a bit on the chilly side. sometimes the vis is not so great but there are many fish around, sand dollar beds, kelp beds, coral... and although i've never seen them, there are octopus. i've also seen some sharks (leopard). avg dive temp for the dives i've done have been in the low 50's F and vis anywhere from 4-30 ft. but depending on where you dive, viz can be greater.

merissa

My plans for the summer (diving wise) is to do some real wreck diving up here in the northen part of Europe. Two trips are planned, the first in the Baltic sea, outside the island Öland (Sweden). A brittish submarine sunk 4 ships here during one of the world wars (first I think), they lie almost on top of eachother at 25-30 m depth now. The second trip is to Narvik (Norway) where alot of ships were sunk in the harbour durin ww2.

Besides those two trips I hope to go wreck diving in the bigger lakes in Sweden, but that isn't decided yet.

what is the temperature like in those waters? what sort of gear do you dive with? wetsuit?drysuit? etc.

sdmaize - first of all Hungary is well known for cave diving - some of them were recently discovered....
Second - The Czeck Republic - also caves and lakes - try hermanice - great place. Then of course comes Poland and the Baltic Sea that witnesses three the greatests marine catastrophies in the world history - Goya (around 7000 people died), Gustloff (between 4 and 8 thousand died) and General von Steuben (2700 thousands died). Just to compare on titanic died around 1500 thousand. While Goya is an extremly difficult dive (it's 80 meters deep) other wrecks are easier.
To dive there you need a dry suit but in other places 7+7 milimeters is enough - during the summer of course.
So there are lots of places to dive in this part of Europe
Mania

I,m an English diver living in the Netherlands,Based in Breda.
I've been diving the lakes around Brabant,ie:Aqua Best,Silver meer,E3 strand and so on.Just started diving in Zeeland at Bruinesse Zijpseweg.I'm hoping to find a local diver with knowledge of this area,drop me a line.diving in the Netherlands I beleive gives the diver better knowledge of dive safty.In other words the harsh conditions here gives you the experience you will need for other dive locations.One thing thou is why do we see so many Belgium Divers floating on the surface dead.really we do see or hear a lot about this.One thing is to remember don't go jumping into the seas or lakes around here without a proper locally experieced diver.If you want to dive here you can contact www.kerodiving.nl. we would be happy in taking peaple diving around Brabant.I am also looking for peaple interested in diving scyllas reef,this is the RN leander class frigate sunk of whitsand bay to make an artificial reef,hoping to go around Jully or august for a long weekend.
If you need more info on lakes around Brabant drop me a line.
Kind regards
Rikkie
Divemaster :wink:

hmm... because those belgians seem to look up the danger. Everytime I see a belgian diver, he's always carrying way more than he's supposed to on a site like that. So I have no idea what their plans are, but they're not very safe (apparently). Not judging all of them, but hey... that's what I saw.
I've been diving at that site in Bruinisse you mentioned today, btw... was pretty good! We were down for over an hour. Nice viz... about 3 meters, and enough cute things to see. :p
Not so sure about being able to guide you through the province... Still don't have a driver's license (not allowed at 17, is it? :p), and I live more up north, so pretty inconvenient. But good luck finding someone. :wink:
Happy diving!

Ramón

I am living in south of France, and dive in MEDITERANEA
This summer the water température was 26°C (79°F).In winter /February, it can come to 11°C (52°F).
I mainly dive on the EST , between MARSEILLE, and NICE.

The weather is sunny, most of the time. There are many sunk boats, at a deepness between 40 meters (120 feet) and 60 meters( 180 FEET) . They are covered with blue, yellow, and red anemones. Many kind of fisches can be seen there.

The others interresting dives are the submarines cliffs.
You can see about the same as on the boats, plus many different kind of algues, and red corals.
It gives wonderful colors. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom