Estimate weighting with new BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying out my new BP/W for the first time this weekend, switching from a Sherwood Cayman jacket-style BCD and I'm trying to figure out how much lead to wear for the first dive (I'll do a weight check at the end of the dive).

I wear 25lbs of lead diving wet with the old BCD (steel tank, 7mm semi-dry, 5mm shorty, etc).

The new BP/W is a 5lb DGX SS backplate, Deep 6 30# wing, single-piece webbing hogarthian harness, and 2 DGX SS cam bands.

Assuming everything else is the same except for the BCD, how much should I drop?

Here's my thought process, with blanks for my questions:

• Drop 5lbs for the DGX SS backplate
  • Drop ??? for the 2 stainless steel cam bands (they were plastic on the old BCD)
  • Drop ??? for losing all the floaty foam padding from the old BCD
  • Anything else? Do the 5 SS D-rings, SS waist belt buckle, and handful of SS belt slides count for a lb or two? (the old BCD had all plastic D-rings, buckles, etc)

When I switched to my back plate I weighed my BC with the weight in it that I normally used and then weighed my plate all put together this gave me how much weight to add to be equal. Then I subtracted two pounds for all the padding this worked good for a starting point and then I fine tuned it from there after diving it for awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom